Chapter 20- James

Already taken me forever just to try you know
One for the money, two for the show
Three to get ready, and four to go
For the life of me
I don't know why it took me so long to see
I just
Stutter, stutter, stutter
Di-di-di-di-di-did I?
Stutter, stutter, stutter
- Stutter • Marianas Trench

There was only half an hour or so until James would have to combat Miraz, and he had never been more nervous for anything. He was frightened, clearly, but there was so much else to focus on.

     Harvey had aided him in putting on his armour. For some reason, he knew how to work all of the old metal platelets and such. James would guess that it was to do with all of the book his friend read, but he couldn't be too sure. Whatever the reason, James was glad. He had Harvey rarely had time together without Alfie. (The latter Gallagher was being aided by Edmund.)

     Caspian had been preparing a horse for the trio to take on their mission. When they arrived in the exit room of the tomb, there the Telmarine Prince was, standing beside one of the most majestic horses James had ever seen. Well, the most majestic, except for Philip.

     Everyone else was stood there too, and James sighed. Things were about to happen that the Pevensie boy wasn't ready to comprehend. But he had to. There was no other way.

     Lucy ran to James, and hugged his waist tightly. Her hugs were always some of the best: the King didn't understand how she did it.

  "You better stay safe." James whispered to her, and she nodded, ruffling her older brothers hair.

  "You don't have to worry." Lucy had offered a kindness in her eyes. "I have Susan and Alfie too."

  "You have to look after them too." James joked, almost seriously. "Especially Alfie. He might've been practising, but he was still an overexcited Londoner with too much passion for his own good.
  Lucy agreed. "I know."

    James' encounter with Susan was much shorter, and straight to the point. They hugged, breifly, and exchanged a few words, but Susan had other things in her mind. James wouldn't blame her.

     However, it was Alfie was the most interesting. He was most of the time, but even now, it was mesmerising.

     "You know..." began the younger Gallagher brother, sort of unconvinced by everything that was happening. "If this goes wrong, It's lights out! Curtain falls! Check mate! Whatever you wanna call it: we're screwed."

  "I thought you were the optimist." James rolled his eyes, pushing back some blonde hair.

"Only when there's something to optimistic about."

  "You should talk to Harvey." James said, softly. "He's nervous for you."

  At that, Alfie flung himself at the blonde King, who only just managed to stay upright. "Thank you."

  "I'll see you soon, just go talk to your brother."

     James decided then to step back. Caspian was helping the King's sisters onto his horse, and Alfie was giving an unmuted goodbye to Harvey. It was a moment to think, but not for too long. The sounds echoed through the stone room, so when the trio had mounted the creature, what Caspian said was loud enough for everyone to hear.