Chapter 18- The Meeting

Don't wanna live as an untold story
Rather go out in a blaze of glory
I can't hear you, I don't fear you
I'll live now 'cause the bad die last
Dodging bullets with your broken past
I can't hear you, I don't fear you now
Wrapped in your regret
What a waste of blood and sweat
Oh oh oh
I wanna taste love and pain
Wanna feel pride and shame
I don't wanna take my time
Don't wanna waste one line
I wanna live better days
Never look back and say
Could have been me
It could have been me
- Could Have Been Me • The Struts

Sleep was a thing of luxury. James Pevensie had learned this the hard way.

    After years of attempting to rest during bombing raids, the blonde had given up. Whenever it was available to him, he would take it, but to seek sleep was a sin.

    That was why, when he was awoken, James was so very grumpy. His dreams had been mediocre, but with all of the pain the eldest Pevensie had endured, it was welcomed. At least, that was, until Edmund pushed his side until his dark eyes snapped open.

  "James..." Edmund hissed, prodding his brothers stomach repeatedly. "James..."

  With a look that Jadis would've cowered at, the High King groaned loudly. "What do you want?"

  "You'll want to see this."

  Unimpressed, James rolled his eyes. "Now?"

  "Yes, now." Edmund grabbed his brothers hand and pulled him up from the straw mattress.

     The two almost ran towards the ledge upon the tomb. It overlooked the Beruna fields where the first battle had taken place, and suddenly, James felt sick. Narnian's gathered below as his siblings joined him on the ledge, Caspian and Trumpkin too. There was so much wrong with the situation, but there it was.

    Telmarine soldiers, marching like a machine towards them. It was a cacophony of metal men with iron faces. This was the worst threat James had ever seen, and he'd lived through most of the most horrific battles in Narnian history.

    Another metal figure on a horse strode through the thousands of men. He was the worst of them all. Miraz.

    That was when James knew what to do. It hit him like a ton of stones, and felt dizzy.

  "Call in everyone." James told Edmund, who nodded, cautiously. "We need to talk."

     Within ten minutes, everyone who needed to be there, was within a confined stone room. All of the Pevensie's, the Gallagher's, Trumpkin, and a few select others were in there. However, as James had been out of the loop for a few days, he hadn't been part of a lot of the planning. Caspian had done his best to keep him up to date, but sometimes there was too much to say, and not enough time to say it.

     Peter was the one to speak first, as always. And, in his true fashion, it was controversial.

     "Cakes and kettledrums!" Trumpkin exclaimed, harshly. James' head snapped his way: he had been leant against a stone wall, beside Caspian, though he should've been apart of it all more. "That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone!"

     James had already been told of this. He didn't agree, not in the slightest, but he hadn't been apart of the conversation. He was recovering from the wounds caused by the Telmarines.

     "It's our only chance!" Peter retaliated, his teeth gritted.

  "And she won't be alone." Susan chimed.

  James sighed, pushing away some of his blonde hair. "I still don't like it."

  "Tough luck." Peter sneered, scrunching his nose and rolling his eyes.

  "Haven't enough of us died already?" Trumpkin asked, sadly, looking up to Lucy from her side. The two were good friends, and it almost pained the young Queen to see him so.

  "Nikabrik was my friend too. But he lost hope." Badger managed to say, softly. From the few conversations James had with the creature, he had found him to be kind. Although, the High King had never met an unkind Badger. It seemed to be apart of their nature. "King James and Queen Lucy haven't. And neither have I."

  Stepping forwards, Reepicheep pulled out his sword. He pulled it to his chest, as a salute, and nodded. "For Aslan!"

  One of their bear companions agreed. "For Aslan!"
  Then, Trumpkin stated. "Then I'm going with you."

  "No," said Lucy, softly, as she put a hand to her dear little friends shoulder. "We need you here."

  "We have to hold them off until Lucy, Susan and Alfie get back." Peter informed, and James' eyes widened. Caspian had failed to mention that. He shot the Prince a look, and he just shrugged his shoulders. Maybe he didn't know either.

  "You're letting Alfie go?" James raised an eyebrow, almost suspiciously.

  Proudly, Alfie stated, pushing past Harvey (who was taking notes).  "I've been practising."

  "I wish you hadn't." Harvey muttered, shutting his book with fervour.

  With intended shade, James rolled his eyes. "If it's with Peter, I don't think that'll account for much. Why can't I go with them?"

  "We need you here." Stated Peter, but James knew what was going to happen. He was going to hiss.

     Sometimes, James didn't mean to. He thought of himself as quite agreeable and kind, but Peter really got on his wick. So much, in fact, that he was willing to break his own morals just for prove his own brother wrong.

    "Why?" Huffed James, pushing himself from the wall. "So you can send me first into battle again? I've been at deaths doors too many times, Peter." The blonde scoffed. "One day, I'll be forced to knock."

  "James-" began Susan, but he wouldn't let her finish. This wasn't her time to speak. This was his. He couldn't let his sisters get hurt: they were strong, but the Telmarine's were undoubtedly stronger.

  "You've just got to trust me." James snapped, shocking himself with the volume. "This isn't the right thing to do."

    No one ever listened to him.

    Why?

    All James wanted to do was help, did no one understand that? His only goal was to aid his family and friends successfully. But they didn't listen. They said they did, but that wasn't true.

     Everyone heard him. They heard what he had to say, but they didn't listen. There was the difference.

    Caspian had previously been sat on the stone steps beside the Professor, but he stood, slowly. He rose to stand by James, and he placed a comforting hand upon the Kings shoulder. Caspian understood the pain of being ignored as much as anyone.

     James was nervous at the touch.

     They still hadn't talked of their... moment. Yes, it had only been a day, but a day makes all of the difference.

    "If I may..." Caspian trailed as his left hand squeezed James' skin. "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer... but as a king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people."

     James grinned. Why'd didn't he think of that? After all, he was familiar with Telamrine customs; he'd owned a book in his first Narnian life all about it. Then again, James had owned a book on practically everything, anyway.

    With a deep breath, Caspian continued, confidently.

  "There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

• - - •
1269
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.