Chapter 24- Aslan's Return

I'm never gonna look back
Woah, never gonna give it up
No, please don't wake me now
This is gonna be the best day of my life
- Best Day Of My Life • American Authors

Relief was the sort of feeling that James Pevensie rarely got to feel. Living in war-torn England, and being the ruler of a place which constantly had to fight to keep the peace, James knew relief was rare. There was something about the idea of the emotion that frightened him.

However, it finally came when the battle was done. It was frightening, but brilliant and beautiful.

Then, after relief, it was pain. His arm still ached, and it would take time to heal, James understood that.

On the edge of the river, Trumpkin was beside Harvey. They, together, collected weapons from the surviving Telmarine soldiers. They would not hurt anyone anymore. Those two would make sure of it.

However, the others stepped towards Aslan, Lucy and Alfie. The five of them were sort of nervous; it had been so long since they had seen the lion, but James couldn't help but feel sad. Why had he revealed himself to Lucy and Alfie, but not him? He had only ever worshipped the lion who had granted him his powers.

James was the first to kneel. He was almost afraid to look Aslan in the eyes, but he knew Caspian must have been more so. With swords in hand, he bowed his head. His siblings followed in his steps, and they waited until the moment was right.

"Rise Kings and Queens of Narnia." Aslan's voice was prominent and loud, but a breath of fresh air. A sense of comfort from his other life. At that, James stood, know his brothers and sisters were following. They saw Alfie and Lucy there too, smiling together. However, Caspian did not move. Then, Aslan spoke again. "All of you."

Caspian's head shot up, though his knee did not leave the pebbles. "I do not think I am ready."

Calmly, Aslan replied. "It is for that's some reason I know you are."

From what was said to him, James watched as Caspian stood. He was finally recognised as the ruler he was. Caspian was one of the strongest people James had ever met, and was over the moon to see Aslan see what he saw in the Prince.

James took Caspian's hand, silently, and grinned widely. The black haired Telmarine returned the smile, and squeezed the King's palm.

"I'm proud of you." James mouthed, and Caspian looked down, face flushed.

"Thank you."

Before any more could by said by anyone, the sound of bagpipes rang through the air. Into the small space between the Kings and Queens, and Aslan, a small stretcher was carried by a group of mice. Upon it, Reepicheep.

As he was placed upon the ground, Lucy raced forwards. She used her healing cordial, pouring a drop to the mouse's lips, and soon, he was breathing again. He stood, when he realised the presence of everyone around him, not wanting to be seen as unprofessional.

"Oh! Thank you, Your Majesty!" Reepicheep thanked, graciously, not knowing what to do with himself. At that, he began to bow. "Hail, Aslan! It is a great honour to be in-" he stumbled, and turned to face his back to see why. He gasped, and turned red, embarrassed. "I'm completely out of countenance. I must crave your indulgence for appearing in this unseemly fashion." Facing the youngest Queen, he almost begged. "Perhaps a drop more?"

Apologetically, Lucy replied. "I don't think it does that."

"You could have a go."

Aslan laughed, encouragingly. "It becomes you well, small one."

"All the same, great King, I regret that I must withdraw, for the tail is the honour and glory of a mouse." Offering up his sword, the mouse bowed his head. James was confused to what exactly he was watching, but it would be made clear soon enough. He was sure.

"Perhaps you think too much of your honour, friend."

"Well, it's it just the honour." Reepicheep attempted to correct himself. "It's also great for balance, and climbing. And grabbing things-"

There was a look shared between Aslan and Lucy, like a hidden secret. One that would never be shared fully; James was jealous.

A small, black mouse stepped forwards. He, bearing his own sword, said confidently. "May it please your High Majesty, we will not bear the shame of wearing an honour denied to our chief." His blade pressed towards his thin tail, and the other mice followed suite.

James was shocked. He had never seen such an act of love as this. Family did not matter, but this was more than family. This was more than honour. This was everything.

Again, Aslan laughed. James had never seen him so happy. They had done him proud, hopefully.

"Not for the sake of your dignity, but for the love of your people."

With his words, James watched as a thin, wiry tail grew from Reepicheep's back. It was the same sort of magic Aslan had used to make James shapeshifter. He could tell. It coursed through his veins, and pirouetted inside of him.

"Look! Thank you, thank you, my liege, I will treasure it always. From this day forward it will serves as a great reminder of my huge humility." Reepicheep thanked, more relived than anything.

Relief.

There it was again.

More dangerous than hope.

"Now, Alfie," the lion turned to face the brunette boy beside him. "I must meet your brother."

Harvey turned to see Aslan and the Pevensie's looking at him, and so, walked over. He was tentative, however, made himself confident. He bowed as they all did, but kept his head up. "It is such an honour to meet you, Sir. I've been reading of you since I arrived here."

"You remind me so of James when he first came to us." Aslan smiled, softly, letting Harvey know that he was welcome. "I trust you are a help to our Kings and Queens."

"I do what I can." The Gallagher boy nodded, solemnly. He was sort of afraid of the lion, but kept it to himself. It wasn't something that had to be known. Was it?

"Then I thank you."

It was never known what had been said between Alfie and Aslan, but James often wondered. In normal situations, Alfie would never have spoken about Harvey happily. Maybe his Narnian experience had changed him, as it had the Pevensie's.

"And where is this dear little friend you've told me so much about?" Aslan questioned Lucy, and she directed his gaze to the dwarf that had continued his work. He looked over, timidly, before waddling over to join them.

He knelt, as everyone did, before Aslan roared ferociously. "Do you see him now?" Lucy giggled.

Quietly to James, Susan whispered. "She gets this from you."

Proudly, he replied. "You bet she does."

•  -  -  •
1197
•  -  -  •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.