Chapter 8- I'm James

The bloody unknown
My every fear in essence
This neurotic head makes me believe danger is omnipresent
And all the crazies talk about
The world and how it's gonna end
I sit worried sick because I'm starting to believe them
And I've got an ugly little feeling
The brain is a funny place
- Diet Soda Society • The Maine

When night fell, the group decided to set up camp for the night. They were somewhere in a forest, James was oblivious as to where specifically. Each had been given some sort of task to complete- but no one was happier with theirs than Alfie.

     It was an increasingly worrying idea.

     The younger Gallagher had been given the job of making a fire so they could eat, and stay warm. Alfie loved fire. Why? They had no idea, but once it was made, he sat in front of it- too close for comfort. His eyes watched the flames grow higher, spinning in the light breeze until he finally fell to a slumber.

     It didn't take too much longer for everyone else to fall in the same pattern. Peter was first, unsurprisingly, Trumpkin, Edmund and the Gallaghers following not to long after.

     James, however, was wide awake. It had felt like eons since he was able to lie under the Narnian sky in peace. As it always was, it was beautiful. The blackness of the sky echoed through the forest, it's twinkling stars creating patterns  that couldn't be seen anywhere else.

    It didn't matter who's eyes James was looking through; his own, or his panthers, there wasn't a difference. It was still the most wonderful sight he'd ever been given the opportunity to view.

    While he was basking in the glow of the sky, James heard one of his sisters whisper. Despite the whole point being that it was quiet- he found it to be a rather loud sort of whisper.

  "Lucy, are you awake?" Susan had wondered. She turned onto her side to see her sister. "Why do you think I didn't see Aslan?"

  "Oh yeah, hi James. Are you awake too?"  The eldest huffed, rolling his eyes. "Oh yeah, thanks for asking."

  "You believe me?" Lucy gasped, confused. Susan was never one for believing, even when it was right in front of her.

  "Well, we got across the gorge."

  "I don't know." Said the younger of the girls, sombrely. "Maybe you didn't really want to."

  "You always knew we'd be coming back here, didn't you?" Susan smiled, weakly. "You both did."

  Lucy smiled. "I hoped so."

  "I could feel it." James grinned knowingly, turning to face his sisters. Despite the sleepy look on his face, he'd never been more awake. "The magic, I could feel it crawling underneath my skin."

  With a sort of sigh, Susan lay back down, and stared at the stars. "I finally just got used to the idea of being in England."

  "But you're happy to be here, aren't you?" Lucy asked cautiously.

  "While it lasts." Susan pondered.

  "You're lying." Hummed James. "You didn't believe the first time round, and you don't now, either. You don't believe in any of this- not really. Not enough."