PROLOGUE

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

"Mom." A seventeen year old Zayd called out his mother's attention with a frown, his lips set into a thin line. He threw his backpack on the kitchen counter and sat down on one of the kitchen chairs, his eyes narrowed into slits.

His mother, Fatima Musa Babagana gave a confused smile at her only son as if not believing the frown on his face is there. He is never one to frown no matter the situation, he is just stoic and austere but never a frown, just insouciant. Now she is so curious about what has happened in school that got him furious and wrathful, it's not something trivial, pettifog or frivolous, it's crucial.

She placed the spatula down on the kitchen counter and lean her back against it, turning her back to the gas cooker with curious eyes. With that serious look on her face, apron around her voluptuous figure, one might think she is a great chef but she is only making scrambled eggs to eat with bread after coming back home from a hectic day at the office. She is no chef and she can never be one, there is no hope for her not that she's tried hard, she is not into it and her husband accepted that wholeheartedly.

Scrutinizing her son again, she gave him a full blown encouraging smile. She's always been close to her children, she never allowed anything to come in between them that they would keep a secret. She didn't grow up with that kind of love due to so many evils in the world but she's vowed not to do that to her children. She is their best friend just like they are hers, they live within the circle of family without adding any other person. A life she's dreamt about but never thought would come to happen.

All thanks to her police officer husband who's clearly in the office now wiping away diaphoresis from his face even with the full blown air conditioner. That's what you get for trying to scratch off corruption and bribery in Nigeria, it comes with sleepless nights and days of sacrifice. But she is damn proud of him, he is Nigeria's hero and her family's too. She supports him in every step of the way and anyway she can, she's been strong for years and aging didn't falter that fire in her. Maybe even proliferated it a few notches up?

Zayd isn't looking at her, she turned off the gas, hunger forgotten and went to him. He's never been this disturbed and furious, she is more curious than worried though. She grasped his shoulders in her hands, he is the same height as she is or even more. He is just growing everyday and it is already irritating her, it is not cool. Growing means leaving her and that is something she is not ready to do.

Dusting a few lints from his jacket, she gave another large Cheshire like smile that he knew too well and smiled right back at her with sheer prepubescence. "What's wrong? What or who's gotten you so furious?"

The scowl came back again, this one more grotesque than the other frown. "Layla!" He frowned, trying to sheaf what he should say then scowled again in concentration. "That girl is a nuisance! I can't just sit alone in class doing nothing, she gets on my nerves like no other. She's always trying to bully me and had I being someone less stronger, she would've succeeded. God, mom, she is so annoying and hideous. I don't mean it like that but damn, I can't help despising her and she just started coming two days ago. For some reason, she wants to bully only me and no one else."

Fatima bit back a smile, her son looks so agitated at the moment and another thing about this Layla lady will definitely trigger him. But why is she more intrigued than furious at some lady bullying her son like that? And why isn't she too keen into asking why he didn't put her in her place instead of complaining to her and getting all worked up and harangued? Oh, she wants to know all about this Layla girl so she drew him to the living room and lowered him down on the couch.

Frowning to show fake concern so he won't stop telling her thinking she might tease him at the end of it, she set her mouth into a line. "What has she done? I hope she is not bullying you to the extent where you can't keep your cool or I'll go and report her. I can even talk to her myself if you want."