6: CAPTAIN Z. AL-HAFIZ

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

"Captain Zayd!" A recruit called out to Zayd as he walked out of the military base, a smile as wide as the world itself perched across his lips. He is now a Captain!

Turning around with a perplexed expression, he viewed the eighteen year old recruit looking every inch nervous being in the presence of a higher ranked person. Zayd had been in his shoes years ago but soon realized that being nervous in front of anyone won't get you where you want to be so he stopped, it was not easy though. He was just like this teenager when he came. The determination in his eyes, the lankiness of his limbs and strong will to change, everything is there.

"Yes?" He answered gently seeing as his eyes are making the little guy more anxious which isn't what he wants right now. He needs to go home to be with his family and share this joyful moment with them.

The guy gulped, his eyes staring at him with penetration that almost scared Zayd. This little guy is going to be extremely fierce, something they'll definitely need in the army. His eyes alone are intimidating, his voice is quite deep too. Zayd hid a smile, they've got an asset to keep and he will make sure they don't make the mistake of sending him away. He looks to be from a poor background which means more reasons to send him packing with one wrong move. But he's got him now, albeit unknowingly.

"Colonel Paul wants to speak to you. He is in his office." The little guy bowed his head, something about Zayd makes him uncomfortable not because he is unapproachable, but there is just something he cannot point out about him that makes his stomach quiver a bit.

"What's your name?" Zayd asked instead, probing casual caress all over the guy's form.

The recruit raised his head at that, his eyes bulged out a bit before he yawed it back to normal as if remembering something then answered. "Adam Lukman, Captain Zayd."

Zayd nodded, tilted his head to the side again for another last glance. "Adam Lukman..." he mulled over the name in his head then hit the boy's shoulder. "You need to learn to look into the eyes of your fellow soldiers to become like them." And then he sidestepped him and went back to the military base.

Lined up like a row of new recruits, the houses were small and square with tidy front yards. Unlike many military bases in other states, the one in Adamawa is pretty and well kept, he wouldn't mind living there just that his parents won't allow that. After all they've done for him, the last thing he would want to do is disobey their wish to stay close to them after being away for half his life.

He got ranked just few hours ago with his entire family present but his mother had to rush back to monitor her models in the company leaving his dad and sister, Benazir with a few cousins of his. He felt the love surrounding him, his chest expanding at the proud smiles on his family's faces. Annalise watched from her laptop since she decided to call him FaceTime, Kareem held the phone directed at him as he got ranked with three beautiful small stars across his shoulders. He smiled again and looked sideways at the glittering golden stars, he's done it yet again.

Munzil was there, face depleted but didn't look angry or disappointed which surprised Zayd not so much. They've always been competitive in their heads but this is a stage where Munzil isn't supposed to keep quiet. Zayd thought he was going to throw tantrum and say he got it because he is far more influential than he could ever be but zilch, he even saluted at him before he left which left Zayd galvanized. Is that how it's done in the army? He would've gone mad seeing Munzil getting ranked higher but the guy was indifferent.

Should he be bothered about that? He wanted to go talk to him but his friends stopped him for some odd reasons. He would want to know why the guy is so different now, not the aggressive teenager he's met. Or because of the war they've been to just of recent?