19: BONE-RATTLING

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

Zayd forced himself to not think about where Layla is the next day. She's been absent for an entire day then the second one too. It is not his concern where she goes. He's done what his mother asked him to do, slept with her and she is definitely feeling good since she was able to leave the house. Now he will have the entire place for himself so his privacy won't be raided by his mother or friends. But by the end of the second day, he started getting worried for some odd reasons.

Maybe sleeping with someone makes you think about them? That should be it because why else would he be thinking about where his bully is. Before going to bed, he decided to call his cousin Teems to see whether she's seen Layla or spoke to her on phone. She should know whatever it is her friend is up to so she can tell him whether she is safe or not. It doesn't matter where or how she is, as long as they know about her whereabouts he is okay. He can tell his mother when she asks and make up excuse.

"Hey, Zeeeee! What's up groom groomer groomest? How's being married?" She greeted in her usual enthusiastic voice with a tinge of jeer as if she knows what he's done with Layla. She's told them!

Suddenly shy, he tried changing the topic but never one to beat around the bush, he asked. "Everything is fine, single lass. Where's Layla though? She's disappeared. Confirm whether she's left for good so I can free us entirely."

Teems sat up from the other end with brows going down in concern and fear. "Disappeared? You mean she isn't there with you?" He made of sound of positive answer. "Then where is she? I've been calling her number but it's switched off I thought she needed space like she always does once in awhile."

"Oh? She does that? Well then, let me rest and enjoy my time before she comes back to destroy it."

"No!" Teems took a deep breath, suddenly having bad feeling about this. "Layla is definitely in trouble! She is not in her apartment either. I was there with Lana earlier, she wasn't there and there was no trace of her. Where could she go to?"

Zayd sat up from his lying position, thunder roared outside his window making it rattle. Where could Layla be in this weather? It's going to rain hard soon and she is out there chilling in God knows where? Well, she knows how to take care of herself so he is going to lie here and rest, she should sort herself out like she always does. She likes being independent anyway, she should continue with that as it's a very good thing to do.

"Now what? Should we start searching for her or report to the station?" His questions are definitely sarcastic and she's heard that but instead of giving him the perfect answer, she rolled her eyes at that.

She is too much in her concern for Layla to think about giving a behooving answer.

"You should really go and check out. Or ask Uncle Ahmad for help? They should send their men to search for her all around. Maybe she is kept somewhere or hit by a car..." She stood from the bed at the mere imagination of Layla being hurt somewhere all alone. No, Layla is strong, she cannot be hurt. But she is only human!

Zayd frowned too, she cannot be hurt or can she? She's Layla Abd Al-Turaij after all, she cannot be hurt. "Are you serious right now?"

"I am!" She whisper-yelled in an agitated tone, her hands raked through her shoulder length hair in sheer concern and fear for her friend. She cannot tell Lana about this, the girl won't be able to sleep and if she is sleeping, she will wake up and decide to go search for Layla herself.

"We need to find her! She never switches off her phone, that's never happened before. She can ignore calls or reject them but never switch it off. Something isn't right, I'm feeling it right now. Please go and search for her, Zayd. Forget about the difference between you two for now and look for your wife." Her voice shook, her throat closed as she tamed down the furious tears rushing down her cheeks.