4: GREENWICH VILLAGE

GREENWICH VILLAGE, NEW YORK, USA.

"Where the hell are you, Lise? I just checked in the hotel you told me but you are not here." Zayd asked, voice filled with uneasiness thinking about nothing but the worst because when it comes to Annalise, that's all he could do.

A small sob came from the other end before she whispered in a tiny voice that he had to restraint his senses to hear. "I-I'm coming back to the hotel now. Just stay at the lobby, I'm few seconds away."

"Lise, are you sure you are coming? Or should I come get you?" He pressed, pacing around while looking out at the glass walls viewing outside the hotel.

"I'm here actually." She gulped thickly, looking at him from outside the hotel walls then slowly pushed the door open after halting him from coming outside.

Zayd rushed to her in ground eating strides, seized her in his arms with hard rush of breath. Her shoulders wracked violently, her sobs becoming more and more audible so he languidly ambled them to the elevator asking for her floor. He doesn't know what is wrong but this is definitely remarkable to get Annalise crying like this. Granted, she's always been fragile and delicate but at the same time resilient and stalwart. He's never seen her cry or even close to tears, this is something she couldn't handle and he is there for her.

Forever and always.

Successfully getting her inside her room, he accompanied her to the bed and make her sit down then went to the mini Samsung refrigerator inside the small suite to get some water. He drove there straight from airport after many hours in the flight and didn't even get to rest. That wasn't how he envisioned his one week holiday before going back to the barracks to see who's got the title. He totally didn't plan coming to the States now till everything is settled but that one phone call from Annalise yesterday did him.

He was sitting down in the living room that's outside his parents main log cabin mansion with his friends when the call came from her. Albeit surprised to see her call since she is never one to call him, he always does that, he answered without wasting a second.

"Lise! What a surprise." He greeted, his smile broadening a bit as he toyed with a small piece of pancake he was eating.

There was no answer from the other end, he furrowed his brows listening to the quiet sobs coming from the phone then stood straighter, brows shooting upwards in worry and question. Why is she crying like that? She is even hiccuping and sniffing, the kind that will make your throat parched and nose red.

"What's up, Lise? Are you alright? What's wrong?" He threw the questions in fear that she is not alright because the mere thought of her in discomfort filled him with dread.

She shouldn't lack anything, she doesn't, he made sure of that so what the hell is wrong now? Had something happened again at her college? Or she's got fired again? But it doesn't make sense since those things never made her cry before, just a bit angry.

This is definitely something extremely gargantuan or malignant, he'd be damned if he doesn't find out what it is.

In a croaked voice filled with hefty amount of pain, she managed to whisper or is it a murmur? He is not sure but he heard her. "Can you come down here? I need you."

Zayd didn't waste any other minute thinking, he packed the little he'd need and booked flight to Greenwich Village after telling his mother who was more than a little reluctant to let him go. He understands that but when it comes to Annalise, almost everything doesn't make much sense. He is bewitched and he won't have it any other way. He wants to be enchanted by her all the damn time that it's frightening when he thinks about it. He cares for her more than he does himself, that is the most accurate thing he's ever admitted to.