25: BUTTERFLY WING

Comment on each paragraph and I update later😮‍💨I'm a bit busy now trying to complete the book so you'll see little of me for now. I want to edit the book before I publish so maybe update once or twice. I'll try my best. And have you checked out my new book YOURS, JANNAH? No? You totally should!

ADAMAWA STATE, NIGERIA.

Zayd left Dr. Mujida's office to go check on Layla in her room. The thoughts slowly came back to his head that Layla is going through post traumatic stress disorder and that too the one that comes with vasovagal syncope. He almost bumped into a nurse, he apologized and continued walking to the room but couldn't stop himself from thinking about it some more.

He knocked on the door but there was no answer so he gave himself the acquiesce and traipse inside. She is lying there on the bed still sleeping soundly, he watched in amazement for he could swear that this is the first time he's ever seen her sleep so blithe and carefree. She looks so adorable and ethereal as she sleeps like a log, not a care in the world. She has always been disturbed while sleeping, her brows knitted and downwards in a troubled expression.

Taking a plastic chair off the side of the bed, he adjust it closer to her where he could see her face closer. He wants to see each and every single thing that made up that mutinous face and beautiful features. Had she been less prettier, would she have done everything she is doing now? Probably because it's there in her blood and she is never concerned about how beautiful she is.

She was breathtaking up close, her skin reflecting light like the silk of butterfly wings. The lines of her throat and jaw were a precise framework for a mouth as full and rich as flowers in deep summer. Her fragrance was subtle and dry and alluring. She smelled like a clean, soft bed he would love to sink into. The thought made his pulse thump insistently, his body hearing instantly, muscles loosening dexterously.

Tired of staring at her for twenty minutes straight maybe without even blinking, he stood up and adjusted the duvet around her. The weather is a bit chilly promising rain later or then, you never know with this weather. All the muscles in his body and instincts yell out he should lean down and kiss her forehead but he stopped himself at the last minute. What the hell is he doing? Lean down and kiss her forehead? Is he out of his mind now?

Shaking off that thought, he left the room to search for a nurse that will stay with her before he comes back. He cannot afford to leave her alone when she can wake up any moment and God knows what will happen if she is to go through what she did the night before. Wake up crying and then loosing consciousness in an unknown place. She shouldn't be left alone, not now.

He would've gone back in there and stay with her but he needs to take good bathe, get her something to eat and also take excuse from the barracks. He's never taken any excuse away from work, he is already picturing the shocked faces of his friends when he tells them he won't be able to make it. He won't tell them the reason or they'd come with him to see Layla and then they will think something is happening and boom, he is forced to spill everything that's happened between them the past couple of weeks.

Those memories are his to keep, not for his friends to find out about any of it. He hasn't told anyone about it and is not planning on doing so. His mother already perceived what's happened but she cannot be so sure it's happened too. He would like to keep things like that, for his mental health.

"Excuse me." He called out to the nurse that's just passing by, he stopped her.

She surveyed him with wide eyes, not with fear but taking him all in. He had to bite back a smile because the way she is staring at him would make any lesser man uncomfortable and fierce one to scold her for it but he just stood there and watch her back. Her face heat up in embarrassment when she saw that he is also looking back at her with raised brow and eyes filled with amusement. That is her odd habit she cannot get rid of.