Chapter 15

This chapter is dedicated to one of my best friend's AmareLa_Vita! Happy 17th birthday (even though it's still a day early)! I hope you enjoy you birthday, even though we have school! And I hope you enjoy Beth's little quarrel!!

Wednesday and Thursday were pretty uneventful. As a group, we spent all day Wednesday at the beach. On Thursday, all the couples went out on their own separate dates. Beth and Seirra went on double dates on the mainland, while Megan and Kevin went out together. Megan and Kevin had been having problems for about 4 months and now, they were going out to dinner by themselves to discuss their situation. It seemed like their relationship had run its course and it was time for them to move on. They did nothing but argue during the entire break.

Megan and Kevin returned home right when we did. The first thing I noticed was that Megan had been crying. As soon as we entered the house, Kevin disappeared into his and Megan’s room. “What happened with them?” Luke asked me when he noticed the silence between them. “I don’t know. I think they broke up, like, for good.” I whispered to him. He nodded his head in understanding. I looked over at Megan and saw her walk out into the backyard. She looked like she was about to start crying again. “I think I should go talk to her.” I say to Luke. “Yeah, go.” He says to me, letting go of my hand.

I walked out into the backyard and saw Megan leaning against the rail, looking out into the backyard. I heard her sniffling. “Megan?” I said, approaching her. “Oh, hey Elena.” She said, automatically wiping her eyes. “What happened?” I asked when I got near her. “Oh Elena! We broke up!” she says, tears filling her eyes. “Aww, it’s okay. It’s going to be okay.” I say to her, pulling her into a hug and stroking her hair.

“I love him Elena. I don’t want to break up with him!” she says, crying into my shoulder. “What happened at dinner?” I asked her. She pulled back and began telling me what happened. “So, we went to dinner and he was like, ‘do you love me?’ and I said, ‘yes. I love you’ then I asked him if he did and he said he loved me too but I could hear a but in his voice.” I nodded, quietly urging her to continue talking. “And so I said to him ‘but what?’ and he said that he wasn’t in love with me anymore. That hurt. I felt like someone was stabbing me in the heart. It felt like Kevin reached into my chest and pulled out my heart. I asked him if there was another girl and he told me there isn’t but I don’t know if I should believe him.” She told me. “I thought maybe we could resolve everything and get back to normal. I thought we could figure out why we’ve been fighting so much and we could make everything all right, but after he said that to me, I realized that maybe we couldn’t do that. He brought up breaking up and I didn’t argue. We both agreed on taking a break, but I think it’s over.” She said, her voice cracking on the last word.

“Megan, I’m so sorry. I know you loved him.” I said, pulling her into another hug. After about 4 minutes of hugging, I pulled her out into arm’s length and asked her the question that’s been bugging me. “Megan? You said you loved him, right?” I asked. “Yeah.” She answered. “Well, are you ‘in love’ with him?” I asked her. She opened her mouth to answer but then she closed it and shrugged. “Because, loving someone and being in love with someone are 2 different things.” I explained.

“When you love someone, you care about them and you want only the best for them. When you are in love someone, you cannot imagine your life without them, they make you feel complete. You can love many people in different ways all at the same time but when you’re IN love, you can’t live without the other person. So now, let me ask you again. Are you IN love with Kevin?” I asked her. She took a few seconds before answering, but she answered me with a steady voice. “When Kevin and I fisrt started dating, I got butterflies when he was around. I got really nervous and started stuttering and stuff. After the first year, I still had those butterflies and I felt like I was on cloud-nine when we were together,” she began, “but recently, I haven’t been feeling that way. I love him so much but truthfully, I’m not sure that I’m still in love with him. I’ve been feeling like this for a while but I’m too scared to say it.” She told me.