Chapter 1

"Hey hey hey." I said, as I took a seat next to my friend Beth. "Hey." She replys. "Guess what?" I say. "OHH! You got a cat named Jack?" she said. "Wait, what? Noo." I said giving her a strange look. "Oh, what?" "You know, you say some of the starngest things ever. Anyways, look." I say showing her the keys to my brand new 2012 Ford Focus. "Oh my gosh! You got your car! I'm so excited for you!" She said taking the keys from my hand. "I just got it this weekend. I'm so excited! It's an early birthday present." I say, "It took my parents a while but they finally got me a car." "Your so lucky" Beth says, handing me my keys. 

Beth is one of my best friends. We've known each other for alomst 7 years and we're really close. It was so difficult not to tell her about my car the day I got it. "Have you told Seirra yet?" she asked. "Nope. None of the girls, expect for you know." I say. "Oh! Oh! Oh! I want to tell them!" she exclaims. I chuckled a little but before I could reply, our teacher, Ms.Summers began to speak. "Good morning class. I have some news to tell you all. Please take your seats and be quiet. The faster I can explain, the faster you guys can get started on your projects." At hearing the word 'project', the class began to moan and groan. "Ohh it's not the end of the world." Ms.Summer says over the complaining.

Ms.Summers is a cool teacher but when she says be quiet, everyone obeys. She's not the type of teacher you want to mess with. Beth and I would have to save our conversation for later. We took out our supplies and waited for Ms.Summers to begin talking. "Okay. As seniors, I understand that you have a lot of things to worry about but this project is not one of those things." Before she could continue, there was a knock on the door. She walked to the door and let the student in. "Ah, James. Nice of you to join us. Please take a seat." At the sound of his name, two things happened; Beth nudged me with her arm a little too hard and made me drop my entire bookbag on the floor. Unfortuantly, I didn't have any good luck because all my notebooks and binders came crashing out of my bag. The entire class turned to look at me. "Ms.Elena, what is going on?" Ms.Summers said turning her attention to me. My face began to burn with embarrasment. "My stuff fell." I said to Ms.Summers. "I'm so sorry Elena." Beth said, getting up from her seat to help me pick up my stuff. While Beth tried to hold in her laughter, me and her picked up all my stuff. "Beth, what the hell?" I whispered to her. "Sorry. I misjudged my strength." she said, containing her laughter. "I was trying to get you to notice who was at the door." she added. I rolled my eyes, "You know, theres going to be payback right?" I whispered. "It was an accident." she said. "Still." I replied. She stuck her tongue out at me and picked up the last remaining binder. 

We finally got back into our seats and Ms.Summers began to speak again. "Okay. Now that we've had our daily interruptions," she says, looking from me to James, causing me to blush once again,"i'll finish explain this project." As she spoke, I began doodling in my notebook.  I couldn't help but think about how embarresed I was. The whole class, including James, was looking at me. I knew that what Beth did was an accident, but I was still embarressed. But I wasn't serious about payback, we'll probably laugh when we tell this story to the girls. Suddenly, I was snapped back to reality when I noticed Ms.Summers walking around with an upside down hat. I turned to Beth and said, "What is she doing?" "She put our names on slips of paper and put it into the hat. You're suppose to pull out 2 slips. Thats how we're going to chose our partners."She explained. I nodded and began to watch Ms.Summers. 

Finally, she reached our table and put the hat in front of me. I reached in and grabbed the two slips of paper. As I began to open the first slip, I mentally prayed that the name on the slip would say Beth. I began to smile as I read the name on the slip, "Elizabeth." Beth and I high-fived and Ms.Summers simply shook her head. I grabbed the second slip and began to open it. I looked at the name and blinked. "James." I said, trying to keep my face expressionless. I looked around the class to James seat and found him looking back at me. I slowly put the slip down and turned to face Beth. Beth and I exchanged glances and kept quiet.