Chapter 29

James Point of View

“I got accepted to Duke on a full ride athletic scholarship.” I said. As soon as those words came out of my mouth, Elena’s facial expression changed. So many emotions crossed on her face before her face become expressionless. I saw surprise, confusion, happiness, anger, and finally sadness before her face went blank. Several minutes passed by without either one of us speaking. “I didn’t mean for it to come out like this.” I told her. Not a single emotion broke through her expression. “When exactly did you know that you got accepted?” She asked me, her eyes showing nothing. I deciede that honesty would be the best way to go right now. “The week after we came back from spring break.” I answered. At that moment, anger flashed through her features.

“You’ve known since then?” she asked me, trying to control her anger. “Well, that’s when they offered it to me but I excepted at the beginning of this month.” I told her. “So, you’re telling me that you have known that you’d be leaving me for the last 20 days?” she asked. I silently nodded. She tried to keep her angry façade but it quickly crumbled. Her anger dissolved and in it’s place came her vulnerability. “I’m really happy for you James. I hope you like it there. That is your dream school. I really am proud of you.” She said, trying her hardest not to cry. I tried to pull her into a hug but she moved away from me.

“Elena,” I started saying. “No really James, I am really happy for you.” She said, getting out of the bed and grabbing her pajama shirt that was on the ground. She quickly slipped on the t-shirt and began walking around the room, picking up and folding her clothes. “Elena, please, can we talk about it?” I said to her. Without stopping, she said “What do we have to talk about? You’re leaving and that’s it. There is nothing else to say.” She said, her voice cracking. I got from the bed and walked towards her. I grabbed her arm and she stopped what she was doing but she wouldn’t look at me. She wiped her face and said “Can you please let go of me. I need to get my stuff packed so I can leave.” She said. “Elena, please look at me.” I begged her.

She continued to look everywhere but at me. I could tell she was trying to keep herself from crying. I finally let go of her and she pushed past me and ran into the bathroom. She slammed the door and I just looked at the door. I had meant to tell her early but I just didn’t want to ruin anything. I know I’m wrong for waiting this long but I couldn’t help it. I didn’t want it to be real. I should have told her a long time ago but I didn’t. I walked to the bathroom door and spoke, “Elena, are you okay?” It was a stupid question but hey, stupid people ask stupid questions right? I could hear her sobbing in the bathroom. I did not expect tonight to go like this. “Just leave me alone right now James.” She said through the door. I stood in front of the door for a while before I took a seat on the floor in front of the door.

Before I even realized it, I dozed off into a light sleep. Suddenly, I woke up and looked at the time. It was a little past midnight. I had been asleep for about an hour. At first, I was confused on why I was on the floor, but then the memory of a crying Elena reminded me of what had happened. I softly knocked on the door and called out her name. I didn’t hear anything so I stood up and carefully opened the bathroom door. Inside, I found Elena sitting on the floor, with her head leaning against the wall fast asleep. I sighed. She had fallen asleep after crying. I felt horrible for being the reason for her tears.

I picked her up bridal style and laid her carefully on the bed, trying not to wake her. After I tucked her into bed, I gave her a kiss on her forehead. I hate the fact that I put her through so much. She doesn’t deserve to be treated the way I treat her. She deserves someone like Logan. Someone that will stay by her side. Someone who isn’t leaving her behind. Maybe we’re not right for each other.

I closed the bathroom and turned off all the lights in the hotel. I crawled into bed with Elena and pulled her close to me. “James?” she said softly, surprising me. “Yes Elena.” I said. “I really am happy for you. I’m just sad that you have to leave.” She said. “I’m sorry. I should have told you earlier, before we got so involved.” I said to her. “You should have but it’s okay. This week has been the most amazing week I’ve ever had. We just have to make the rest of the time you’re here as good as this past week.” She said after a few moments of silence. “Elena?” I said. “Yes.” She answered. “I am falling for you so fast that it scares me.” I confessed. “Me too James.” She replied. Those single 3 words caused my heart to beat faster.