Chapter 21

“How long has it been since we had a girl’s night?” Megan asked out loud. “Too long.” Beth answered her. I looked around the room and saw that Megan and Beth were sprawled out on the bed, going through their phones. “Where is short-stuff?” I asked them. “In her room. She said she’ll be right back.” Beth answers me without looking up. I walked to the bed and laid down; I rested my head on Beth’s back and my feet were under the blanket. I pulled out my phone and also began checking Facebook and all the other good social networking sites.

Without looking up, we all noticed that Sierra had opened the door and entered the room. “Um, why is everyone on their phones? I thought this was a girls night, not a technology night.”  She said, coming into the room and snatching all of our phones. “Hey!” we all shouted when she took our phones. “Nope. No more phones for the rest of the night. You guys all said ya’ll wanted a girls night so that’s what we’re going to do.” She said, placing our phones on the counter next to the TV.

We all crossed our arms and glared at Sierra. “Stop being such babies. What happened to talking to each other.” Sierra said, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. “What do you mean? We were talking.” Beth answered. “Sure you were. You we’re probably messaging each other on Facebook even though you’re sitting right next to each other.” None of us could defend ourselves because that was exactly what we we’re doing.

“Whatever.” Beth said rolling her eyes. “Anyways, do we have any ice cream? Preferably chocolate.” Megan asked. “Maybe. The guys went grocery shopping the other day.” I answered her while picking at my nails. “Who wants to go get it?” Megan asked. We all shouted “Not me!” and bust out laughing. “I’ll go get it.” I answered getting up from my position. “Bowls or spoons only?” I asked before leaving the room. “Bring plastic bowls, just in case.” Sierra answered. I nodded and closed the door and walked to the kitchen.

When I got into the kitchen, I turned on the lights and began looking in the pantry for plastic bowls. I found the bowls and set them on the counter. I pulled out 4 plastic spoons and set them in the bowls. I then went to the refrigerator and began rummaging through the freezer, looking for the ice cream. While I was searching, I heard some footsteps and groaning. I backed away from the freezer to look for the source of the sound.

“Hey” James says to me groggily. “Hi.” I say back. “What are you doing up?” I ask him. “I had this massive headache and I came looking for some medicine.” He told me. “Oh, well, sit down. I’ll get you some water and Advil.” I told him, pointing to the barstool. “Okay, thanks.” He says without putting up a fight.

I closed the freezer and walked to the medicine cabinet. I looked through the cabinet and pulled out an Advil bottle. I closed the cabinet and grabbed a water bottle from the kitchen counter that happened to be conveniently there. I handed him the water bottle and poured 2 pills into his palm. “Thanks.” He said to me. “No problem.” I said. I stood and watched him as he took the medicine.

“What were you up to?” he asked me once he swallowed the pills. “I was getting some ice cream for the girls.” I answered him. “I don’t think we have any. We didn’t pick any up when went grocery shopping.” He told me. “Oh, okay then.” I say to him. “Yeah, well, I’m going now. Night.” He says to me while getting up and leaving his water bottle. “Wait, aren’t you going to drink more water?” I ask him. He shook his head no but then suddenly stopped and grabbed his head. He sat back down and put his head between his hands. “This headache is horrible! I didn’t think I drank that much!” he said to himself. “What do you remember?” I ask him. “Um, I don’t know. It hurts to even think.” He told me. It seemed that he didn’t remember anything that had happened. I wouldn’t be the one to break it to him so I stayed quiet. Instead, I began insisting for him to drink his water.