Chapter 28

“So what’s for dinner?” I asked James. “The waiters should be bringing it soon. I told them to have the food prepared by 7:45 and it’s 7:40 right now. I want this night to be precise.” He told me. “You know, you’re a real romantic. You know how to make a girl swoon.” I said grinning. “I try, I try.” He said laughing. “But, I need you to know,” he said, his face turning serious, “that this,” he said, motion to the whole room, “and all this is only for you. I’ve never done anything like this before.” “Well, I don’t know whether you’re telling the truth or not but I still appreciate it James.” I said to him. Unless he’d done something like this before, how would he know how to do it now? I thought to myself. 

“Elena, look deep into my eyes and tell me if you really think I’m lying.” He said to me, staring hard into my eyes. I looked back into his eyes and I could see that he was telling the truth. I just knew that he wasn’t lying. I had a feeling he wasn’t but instead, I voiced my thoughts. “If you’ve never done this before then how did you learn how to do it now?” “I’m not even going to lie because I had to ask for help. That’s what I’ve been doing for a long time. Prom night, the speaking to you was my idea but the hotel room was Sierra’s idea. Tonight, I wanted to take you out to a fancy dinner but when I spoke to Logan, he told me to think out of the box. Then he mentioned prom and I had the idea to make tonight like a prom and I had to miss school so I could make sure that every little detail is perfect tonight. I’ve been running around all day.” He explained to me. I actually began to feel guilty that I called him a liar. 

“I’m sorry James.”  I said to him. “Sorry about what? There’s nothing for you to be sorry about.” He said to me, his face softening. “No, I’m sorry for doubting you. You worked really hard and I didn’t even…” he cut me off before I could finish talking. “Don’t even worry about it. It doesn’t matter if you don’t believe me or not because the most important part is that you’re here with me right now.”  He said, grabbing my hand and kissing the top of it “Plus, you can make it up to me later, in our hotel room. “ he said, grinning. I smiled and rolled my eyes. 

“Ah, finally, the food is here.” James said when he looked behind me and saw a waiter come in. I turned and glanced at the waiter. To my surprise, it was Logan, dressed in black slacks and a white button down with a tie, holding onto a covered silver platter. “Logan is our waiter?” I asked James. “Apparently.” He answered smiling at my surprise. “Hello sir and madam. Here is your food.” He said when he got to our table. He uncovered the silver platter and revealed 2 plates of food. He grabbed a plate and placed it in front of me. “The plate is a bit warm.” He said, winking at me. Then he placed the other plate in front of James and said “Eat up big boy” causing me to laugh. 

James gave him a look but didn’t say anything. “Elena, you look absolutely stunning tonight. Are you sure you want to be on this date with James?” Logan said, joking with me. “Thank you Logan. And actually, I’m starting to change my mind. I do have a thing for waiters.” I said laughing. “Um, I think it’s time for our waiter to get a move on. Preferable back to kitchen and never to come back out.” James said, glaring at Logan. “Aye aye Captain.” Logan said, winking at me again and walking away. “Logan is such a good person.” I said, absentmindedly. “Good person my ass. He was hitting on my girlfriend.” He said, mumbling to himself. 

“I feel a bit offended that you think I would drop you to be with Logan.” I said, faking hurt. “Oh, I didn’t mean it like that.” He said, not realizing that I was joking. “I know James. Logan and I have an understanding. We’re just friends. He’s been a good friend to me and you. But I want you and only you.” I said to him. His face visibly relaxed. “Plus, I have a bigger thing for guys that wear bowties.” I said smiling. 

After dinner, we made small talk while we waited for dessert. At around 8:20, Logan brought us our dessert. For dessert, we had a large brownie with a scoop of ice cream on the side. “Oh my gosh, this brownie is awesome.” I said after my first bite. “Did you bake this?” I asked Logan. “Yes ma’am. I’m glad you like it.” He said. “Wow. You should bring me brownies the next time you visit.” I said to him, shoving another piece into my mouth. “No problem Elena. I might even add some potion in it to make you fall in love with me.” He said winking at James. James rolled his eyes and frowned. “You have the rest of the night off Waiter.” James said to him. “But I was just starting to have fun.” Logan pretend whined. James glared at him.