Chapter 18

James Point of View

“Hey Elena. I haven’t spoken to you all day.” I said to Elena when we arrived at the beach. After returning to my room, I went back to sleep. I got up around 9 and took a quick shower. While I was in the shower, I thought about how I could get Elena back, but I couldn’t think of anything. I guess I was just going to have to pull out my best moves. As a whole group, we loaded some coolers and headed off to the beach to celebrate our last night on the island. We were going to spend the day on the beach, relaxing, playing sports, and just having a good time. When the sun goes down, we’re going to head to Logan’s beach house for a bonfire. Logan always throws bonfires when he and his friends spend time at the beach house.

“We spoke at the house.” She replied. “Well, I don’t remember so it doesn’t count.” I say jokingly. Elena simply shrugged and continued putting on sunscreen. She finished putting lotion her arms and I stood there, awkwardly looking at her. “Do you want me to do your back?” I asked her. “Umm, nah. Luke will do it.” She said after hesitating. “Luke will do what?” Luke said, walking up behind me. “Put lotion on my back.” She said, handing Luke the lotion.

“Oh, yeah.” Luke said with a smile on his face. I frowned and walked towards one of the beach chairs. I took a seat and glared at Luke as he put lotion of Elena’s back. She was giggling and he was also laughing. I did not enjoy the sight of my best friend and the girl I love laughing and flirting. Ever since this morning, Luke and Elena have been inseparable. I have a bad feeling that something happened with them after Elena left my room. She did say something about how Luke liked her.

As I was sitting there, glaring at Elena and Luke, Sierra put a chair next to me and took a seat. “Oh, hey.” I said to her. “Hey. You know, if looks could kill, Luke would be dead by now.” She tells me. “Oh. I didn’t think anyone would notice.” I say, moving my eyes from Luke to Sierra. “If this were a cartoon, you’d have smoke coming out of your ears. Your face is already red enough, just a little bit of steam and you’re a carton.” She says smiling. “I’m glad you’re amused by my anger.” I say sarcastically.

“Anyways! What are you going to do?” she asks me. “I don’t know. Do you know if they’re together or something?” I ask her the question that I dreaded. “I don’t know. She hasn’t told me anything yet. Don’t jump to conclusions yet.” She answers me. “Well, it sure seems like they’re together.” I said, noticing the way Luke looked at Elena. Sierra didn’t comment on what I said which confirmed my suspicions that she also thought they were together.

“Well, as the saying goes, don’t judge a book by its cover.” She says to me. I rolled my eyes and said, “Well, right now, it seems like I don’t even have a chance.” “Elena!” Sierra shouted. Elena turned her head and looked at Sierra. “What are you doing?” I ask Sierra nervously. “You’ll see.” She says. She motioned for Elena to come towards us. Elena got up and stood in front of Sierra. “Are you and Luke together, together?” she asks her. I could see a blush creeping into her cheeks. She quickly glanced at me and answered Sierra. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She says while walking away. “Elena! Don’t walk away from me!” Sierra shouted at Elena, but Elena kept walking. “Well, she didn’t say yes.” Sierra says to me. I roll my eyes but don’t say anything.

After we got our stuff settled in the sand, I got out the beach ball and tried to start a game of volleyball. “Let’s play a game.” I say, holding up the beach ball. “I’m in.” Clark said. “Me too.” Zack answered. “Yeah, me too.” Luke said. Elena, Beth, Megan, and Sierra all looked at each other. “Umm, I think we’ll sit out this game.” Beth tells me. “Oh come on. Ya’ll have to play.” I say. “Oh we will, but we need to do something first. Ya’ll go ahead and we’ll join in a few minutes.” Sierra says. “Fine. We’ll be over there.” I say, pointing to the nearest volleyball net.