26.

Chapter 26.

My heart was still beating erratically even after half an hour on the road.

As I looked out the window, I couldn't help but think how happy I was right here, right now. Xavier was changing day by day, even if we both couldn't see it.

He was warmer, kinder, softer and more passionate and he continued to suprise me more each day.

It was dark outside now, the sky turned pitch black and Xavier had to quickly turn on the head lights.

I couldn't see Xavier behind the wheel very well due to the darkness, and all I could hear was the low mumble of the radio. My eyes were closing slowly and I'm sure I was going to fall asleep soon.

I still felt guilty for getting Xavier to take us to my mothers now, even when I knew it would take hours. Xavier said he didn't mind and he was used to not having much sleep, but I still felt bad for doing so.

Right now I'd rather be cuddling up to Xavier's body in our own bed, in our own room, but obviously my mother was an impatient person. She had always been that way and when she missed me, I knew she missed me like hell.

She wasn't perfect but she's always loved me.

"You okay?" I heard Xavier's voice. I nodded my head even though I knew he couldn't see me.

"Tired." Was my only reply. I felt Xavier's hand lay on my thigh. I laid my hand over his.

"Go to sleep." Xavier said. I sighed and moved further down in to the seat.

"Okay." I yawned loudly before laying my head against the door beside me. I knew my neck was going to be cricked badly from this position but I was just too tired to care.

"Do you want me to turn the radio down or are you okay?" Xavier asked again as he continued to concentrate on the road. However much he concentrated on the road, I knew he always had his attention fixed on me. I loved it.

"I'm good." I closed my eyes softly. "Thank you."

"That's okay, babe." I heard him say. The gentle movement of the car almost rocked me to sleep like a baby. Knowing Xavier was beside me, hearing his slight breathing relaxed me more than I would have thought.

Soon, I was asleep whilst Xavier continued to drive through midnight and into early morning.

*

We were still on the road when I woke up, the time just slightly past two in the morning.

I moved my arm just a touch to stretch. It had been in the same position for a few hours, same as the rest of my body.

When I moved, I felt material laying over my thighs and over half of my body. I opened my eyes to see a thin shirt on my body.

I sat up straighter and stretched my legs as much as I could.

"You're awake." I looked over to Xavier with sleepy eyes. He was looking at me and smiling. He didn't look at all tired, infact, he looked more alive now than he did in the day. He was definitely a night owl.

"What's this?" I pointed down to the shirt and Xavier shrugged.

"I thought you'd get cold so I pulled over and got one of my shirts out of my suitcase. It's not much and I doubt it kept you warm but it was all I had." Xavier replied. He shrugged again as if it were no big deal and he had a sheepish look on his face.

I took hold of Xavier's hand and leaned over to kiss his cheek whilst he continued to drive.

"Thanks." I smiled at him before sitting in my seat properly. Xavier didn't reply but I saw the smile lighting up his face.