Deadly Plants and Mad-Eye Moody.

"As you all have, likely, heard by now: you will have O.W.L. tests this year," Professor Sprout began. "And while Herbology is not a requirement for most wizarding jobs, I would highly recommend still taking my N.E.W.T. class and putting in just as much effort as you will for your other subjects." She smiled around the classroom.
Professor Sprout was always very lenient with (Y/n)'s class which, likely, stemmed from them having the best class average. They were allowed to listen to music so long as they actually were taking their notes or potting whichever plant they were covering that day.
"Now that we are through with that, let's pick our semester projects, shall we?" Professor Sprout continued. She waved her wand and out rolled five carts filled with plants for the combined Gryffindors and Ravenclaws. "No two plants are the same. They are all plants that have been covered or will be covered this semester. I want a PowerPoint, essay, or diorama about your plant and its natural habitat in addition to your regular care sheet—" the care sheet was a chart they had to fill out daily on the plant's condition and 'diet'; points would be marked off for any missed days "—and, as always, your plant must be kept alive." She gave a warning look to Cormac McLaggen.
"I am telling you all this because I will be grading you extra harsh this year and am asking you to choose your plants wisely. Each cart progressively gets harder and if you need to step back and say 'Hey, maybe I should stick with a fourth-year level plant,' then please do so. The last cart will include plants that you are most likely to have to deal with during your examination if you think you can handle a challenge."

When Professor Sprout waved her hand, the class rushed forward to have their first picks. As things slowly cleared out, one thing became certain: flowers were being avoided. (Y/n) couldn't help but roll her eyes. What was their problem with 'girly' things? The same thing happened during her second year when everyone would avoid the pink or fluffy ear muffs when they were covering Mandrakes.
When there were three students left, Chija, Marietta, (Y/n), and Katie Bell moved to choose their plants. Chija seemed very pleased to take the belladonna; Marietta was fine taking the aconite; Katie took a dittany plant. They returned to their seats as (Y/n) continued looking at the colourful flowers available: three total in the first and second carts, four in the third, eight in the fourth, and the fifth was nearly filled to the brim. A gasp came from (Y/n) as her eyes landed on a very intriguing plant indeed when she reached the fifth cart.
It was a Fanged Geranium, based on the label. It was, as the name suggested, a fanged geranium with blue petals and a mouth of purple, blue, and pink. It was very large for a geranium and already was in a large pot. Heart eyes formed as (Y/n) picked up the potted plant and turned to leave.

"...Are you sure you want that one?" Professor Sprout nervously broke her silence. "Nothing... pretty that won't ruin your image? If it is a level five plant you wish to have, might I suggest—"

"I like this one very much," (Y/n) said enthusiastically. Her heart eyes grew as the plant attempted to bite her. Marietta, Chija, and Katie exchanged reproachful looks at the sight of (Y/n)'s plant and the absolute adoration she already held. Marietta and Chija were especially worried as they would be living with that plant for a semester.
"Isn't it exciting?" (Y/n) beamed. "Both the plant and the thrill, I mean. It's like... turning a new leaf! Quite literally, I suppose!" She walked back to her seat with a bounce in her step.
Professor Sprout wore a wary smile. (Y/n), one of her best students, had always gone for the nonpoisonous, typically boring flowers. They were, just as she was, the definition of perfection and beauty. A Fanged Geranium, though beautiful when looked at with a blind eye, got quite aggressive when it lacked proper care. A metaphor perhaps, thought Professor Sprout as she began the lesson.

"You can put those away," growled Mad-Eye Moody, stumping over to his desk, and sitting down, "those books. You won't need them.
Rather slowly, the class of Ravenclaws returned their books to their bags. Mad-Eye Moody briefly looked around at all of the plants that sat on their desk before turning his attention to his register. He shook his long mane of grizzled grey hair out of his scarred face and began to call out names, his normal eye moving steadily down the list while his magical eye swivelled around, fixing upon each student as they answered.
"Right then," he said when the last person had declared themselves present, "I've had a letter from Professor lupin about this class. Seems you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling Dark creatures— you've covered Dugbogs, revisited Red Caps, and gone over quite a few jinxes, is that right?"
There was a murmur of assent.
"But you're behind— very behind— on dealing with curses," said Moody. "So I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with Dark magic.
"So— straight into it. Curses. They come in many strengths and forms. Now, according to the Ministry of Magic, I'm supposed to teach you countercurses and leave it at that. I'm not supposed to show you what illegal Dark curses look like until you're in your sixth year. You're not supposed to be old enough to deal with it till then. But Professor Dumbledore's got a higher opinion of your nerves, he reckons you can cope, and I say, the sooner you know what you're up against, the better. How are you supposed to defend yourself against something you've never seen? A wizard who's about to put an illegal curse on you isn't going to tell you what he's about to do. He's not going to do it nice and polite to your face. You need to be prepared. You need to be alert and watchful.
"So... do any of you know which curses are most heavily punished by Wizarding law?"
Several hands rose tentatively into the air, including Chija, Marietta, and (Y/n)'s. Moody pointed at Chija.