Soulmates

'Call it away.' You hissed to Jamis.

'No.' He replied.

'Now!' You glared. The man looked at you, blue eyes harsh as you stared back, face blank. With a few clicks on his stillsuit, a rhythmic thumping noise was known as a leader's call sounded from far away.

You grunted and pulled your veil over your face to sit back on the rocks, back facing to Chani as she slid down the crack, causing rocks to crumble.

The people who you were just watching, a boy and a woman, turned around. There was something about them that you were intrigued by. How they got this far without attracting a Sandworm was beyond you. They weren't even Fremen. Too pale and sweaty, and their eyes weren't blue.

You saw the boy signal something to the woman, his fingers moving slightly in little waves. He was telling her something, and by the way he was scouring his eyes over the rocks, he was looking for life. Possibly your group.

Stilgar looked back at the group, lifted his hand and signaled for you to approach slowly. Everyone around you shifted weight, coming closer.

'No not run.' Stilgar's voice rang out through the rocks. The people turned, scared looks on their faces. The boy was tall, his curly brown hair clung to his forehead from sweat. His dark eyes trying to hide surprise and failing. His jaw chiseled and prominent. The lady had brownish red hair that was whipping around with the wind, her face was also very sharp, and covered in freckles. By the way the boy was standing protectively over her, she was probably either his older sister or mother.

'You will only waste your bodies water.' Stilgar continued.

You then realised his intentions, like always, kill to survive.

You saw Tunir, one of the guardians slip forward, his hand on his knife, ready to pounce.

'Hold.' Stilgar commanded. He slowly crouched and examined the people.

'Stilgar.' Said the boy. His voice definitely matched his face, sweet and handsome. 'Hey, you know me. I was there when you came to my father's council.'

'Ah,' Stilgar pulled down his cloth headpiece, 'this is the Duke's son.'

'Why are you waiting? We need their water.' Jamis put into the conversation. This made you roll your eyes. It was so like Jamis to throw his hat in the ring. Just because he was the best fighter, he thought he was so amazing.

You glanced at Chani, who rolled her eyes in equal annoyance.

'This is the boy I told you about. We can't touch him.' Stilgar replied, annoyance in his voice.

A few more people called out in your native tongue.

'Is he Lisan al-Gaib?' Asked a woman.

'He hasn't proven himself.' Called out Tunir.'

'They're weaklings.' Jamis pulled out his knife.

'Jamis...' Stilgar said, camly, 'that was a brave crossing they made in the path of Shai-Hulud. He does not speak or act like a weakling. Nor did his father.'

Once more, you looked at Chani, who shrugged. Neither of you heard much about Stilgar's adventures to the City.

'My thumper saved his life.' Jamis retorted.

'Because I told you to use it.' You called out to him. 'You would've let them die.'

Jamis couldn't reply, so he just glared at you angrily like he did so many other times. You watched as the boy tried to find you in the dim light amongst the rocks, but you were too well hidden.