Working Backwards

A/n: heyyyyy guys. So recently I've got a new Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw obsession, so I started writing a one shot series for him. Soooo if you can, read em! They're good (if I do say so myself hehe) anywayysss enjoy the story!!

———————————————————

The sky was a pure blue, not a cloud to spoil how bright the day was. Birds chirped calming songs as butterflies lazily drifted past Paul. He sat on the bright green grass, not caring if it stained his white pants.

'Hi.' Paul said, unsurprisingly there was no reply. Paul sighed but smiled, remembering what you sounded like. He reached up and played with the flowers he had put on the ground. Peony's, your favourite flower. 'I got these for you. I remember how much you like them.' Once more, there was no reply, and once more, unsurprisingly. 

'Five years, to the day.' Paul said, looking up. Standing before him was an elaborately carved marble gravestone. Engraved was the words, Y/n Y/l/n, you are always in our hearts, our minds, you were taken way too soon, we love you.

Paul sighed and looked up to the sky, knowing that somewhere, you were looking back down upon him and smiling your beautiful smile. 

Paul closed his eyes, remembering you for all your glory.

The last time he saw you.

You laid painfully still on a bed of white linen. Blood was spilling from your mouth and stomach after being stabbed twice. You had an eerie look of serenity on your face as you tried to relax into the pain relief medication. Paul sat beside you on a chair, clutching your hand.

'It'll be okay, you'll be okay.' He whispered over and over again.

You suddenly started to cough, blood and snot spraying across the room. Paul couldn't care less if you started vomiting too, he just wanted you to be safe. Suddenly the heart monitor started beating too fast, then too slow. An alarm went off for the nurses.

'Paul.' you managed to croak.

'Don't speak, you must rest.' Paul gave the best smile he could. He was trying to hold hope that you would survive, although every part of him was screaming that you wouldn't. 

'I love you, my darling Paul.' You whispered, your eyes slowly closing as the beeping got slower and slower. 'You must promise to move on.'

'No, no.' Paul shook his head, tears streaming down his dust-covered cheeks.

'If it must be, it will be. I love you.' You smiled one last time, before closing your eyes.

'Y/n? Y/n!?' Paul screamed. Everything seemed to go in slow motion, nurses and doctors rushed in, someone grabbed Paul and dragged him away so they could get to you. Paul kicked and screamed, trying his hardest to get to you, to see you one last time. He collapsed into Jessica's arms as he left the room. Heart-aching screams ripped from his throat, his gem, his crown, his entire world had just died, and he watched it happen. Paul had just lost everything.

Paul sniffled as he wiped tears, remembering every detail like it was yesterday. There was no way he was about to forget you. Paul then pulled out a little box, metal with a velvet interior. On it was a thin silver necklace with a simple ring nestled deep inside. He placed it on the ground. 

'I gave this to you before the battle.' He said, voice cracking from anguish.

When he gave you the box.

'Y/n?' Paul said. You turned around, a smile creeping onto your face as you saw the man who you loved so much standing in front of you.

'Hey.' You glanced down at yourself, ready for the battle of a lifetime. 'I'm ready, are you?'