Surprised

A/n: Heyyy, so um i recently jumped back on the Harry Potter train after low-key forgetting about how amazing it is. I then (naturally hehe) started writing George Weasley fanfics because thats my only talent, so check it out if you like Harry Potter :) thankssss enjoy

----

Paul looked at you over the bookshelf. He smiled.

'I don't mind that.' He answered your question.

'Are you sure? A lot of people think I'm too forward.' You said. You'd been friends for a while now, and you thought you'd tell Paul one of your worst fears, that your confident and self-assured personality would scare him away, as it did so many others. 

'Yeah, in fact, it's one of my favourite things about you.' He moved around the bookself to stand next to you. 'And I'm not going to be scared away that easily. It'll take more than confidence to do that.'

'Really?' You smiled shyly.

'Really.' He replied.

For the next few months, it went on like that. The two of you flirted, shyly at first, but then it came apparent to anybody that the two of you fancied each other. Everything that you two did seemed to be in synch. 

You'd had your heart broken before, but you were sure that he was the one. You could see yourself with Paul, not only for a few dates, but actually for the long term. It was all going well.

Fridays were a regular now, he'd ask you 'so what are we doing this week?' and you'd hang out, take walks or do activities. One Friday, he was acting off.

You tried to touch his hand like you had done in the past, joking around. You laughed at his jokes, and tried to make conversation with him, but he seemed off. He wasn't looking at you directly in the eye, and would draw his hand away from your own.

At the end of the night, you asked him what was going on.

'Paul, are you okay? You seem... off.' You asked.

'I'm fine, I've just been processing a few things, that's all.' He said, smiling halfheartedly. 

'Okay, well I'm always here for you if you need me.' You smiled at him.

'Thanks, Y/n.' He said. 

The next day, you ran into Paul.

'Hey.' He said.

'Hi.' You replied, sensing something was off.

'Look, there's something I wanted to tell you.'

'Okay.' You nodded carefully. 

'So, I know that you are into me, and look, I think you're super nice and an awesome person. But I don't want to date at the moment, but I still want to be friends with you. I'm sorry if that hurts you, I really am.' Paul rubbed his hands together.

'Oh, yeah okay.' You forced your smile to stay put. 'That makes sense.'

'We can still be friends, right?' Paul asked.

'Yeah, of course.' You nodded. 'Look, sorry I've got to go, I've got a job to do and I'm already late.'

'Alright, see you later.' Paul smiled. 

You smiled back and walked down the hall. 

That night, you laid in bed, head spinning. What happened? Not only a few days ago he was flirting with you and implying he wanted to date you, now he suddenly doesn't want to date?

You weren't mad at him, you couldn't be. You were mad at yourself. You knew you shouldn't be, but your overthinking ass kicked into overdrive.

What was wrong with you? What did you do to make him not want to date? Were you too overbearing? Too forward? Did you say something to upset him?