No Damn Way

You sat in court, your light smokey grey dress sat beautifully across your body. However, your face did not match the grace of your dress. Your father would say, "Glaring turns diamonds into dust, Y/n.", but you didn't care. Glaring couldn't turn shit into diamonds anyway.

And that shit was sitting across from you right at this moment.

The only bad thing about being so high up in the court, means you had to see the one person you would rather die than speak to. Paul Atreides.

Now, some people would wonder why you hated Paul so much? They might see him as a kind young man who is determined to help people. But you saw him for the bully he was.

Even though it had been a good six years since you saw Paul in person, you still saw the childlike boy who spilled scalding hot soup all down your front, scarring you with a deep, tissue wound. You still saw the boy who cut your hair out of their braids because he found it funny. You still saw the boy who stole your dolls to aim his sword at, and not repay you afterwards.

'First, we are to address something that is a long time coming.' Duke Leto stated as he stood up. His traditional royal armour clung to his body. 'Lord and Lady Y/l/n are back from their station to Kaitain. Duke Y/l/n did an impeccable job, and was promoted to my left hand man one year ago. I would like to welcome you back to Caladan. Welcome home.' He smiled at your father and raised his glass.

Your father and mother smiled gratefully, you faked one as well.

'Thank you.' Your father said. 'We highly appreciate it.' 

Later after the meeting, your father came up to you.

'Y/n, we have plans for tonight.' He stated. 'We're doing over to Lord and Lady Atreides' for dinner, they've invited us.' 

'What?' You said flatly, not wanting to go.

'You're coming too, no questions asked.' Your father said, his tone demanding. You opened your mouth to protest, but chose you'd rather keep your tongue. You just nodded, and left.

~~~

The traditional blue gown you wore flowed around your ankle, the low cut neckline of the traditional dress from years ago made your thick diamond necklace stand out.

'Lord Y/l/n! Welcome!' Duke Leto's booming voice echoed across his family's dining chamber. 'Lady Y/l/n, Miss Y/n.' He gave your mother and you a hug in quick succession. 'Please, come in.'

He stepped back to reveal a large dining hall. The floor was a dark marble, a red carpet sat in the centre with a massive, elaborately carved oak table surrounded by ten chairs, each with red velvet seat cushions and back pads with gold trim. On the table was covered in delicious smelling and looking foods. The walls were decorated with elaborately done tapestries, and a giant skylight lit the room from above, sending waves of light pink and blue into the room.

Harsh whispers were heard from the hallway, then a violent shhh before Jessica and Paul walked into the room.

'Lady Y/m/n, good to see you again.' Jessica smiled widely. She drifted over and gave your mother a hug.

'Likewise, Jessica.' Your mother smiled.

'Well, look at you, aren't you all grown up?' Jessica shifted her gaze to you.

'Well, six years can change a lot.' You curtsied politely. 

'Yes, it can.' Jessica said.

'Now, please sit. Eat. We've got a good meal prepared.' Duke Leto said as he gestured to the large table.

You walked over and sat next to your parents. Paul sat on the other side of the table, but in front of your mother, not you.

The meal started smoothly. Duke Leto and your father talked about tricks of the trade, what life was like. They then dwelled on old times, how we were all such a happy family friend group, and how they were sad that Duke Futor could not join the group, that he was still on a posting. You father then spoke about how you had been educated in the High Court and how you quickly went from student to teacher, flexing that you were smart.