Two Years

A/n: Hey, so I know I didn't upload on Tuesday, that's because I was at a camp! So I'm uploading tonight and won't have a Saturday Special. I'll (hopefully) get back on track next week. Love you guys xxx enjoy!

~~~

Paul always knew how to make you happy. He said the right things at the right moments and you loved that. Paul and you had been together for about two years now, and they were the best two years of your life.

You are so ugly, disgustingly, sweetly in love with him that everybody around you thought  you two are going to get married. And honestly, so did you.

So when Paul came into the courtyard one sunny afternoon, you were elated to see him.

'Hey.' You said with a smile on your face. 'What are you doing here? Are you supposed to be in your lessons?'

Paul looked at you with a sad smile on his face. 'I was.' He said.

'Okay.' You chuckled. 'So why the long face?'

Paul paused a moment, you could see the cogs turning in his head to form a sentence. Finally, he sighed and looked at you. 'I've been thinking about us.'

'How?' You whispered. 

'I'm so sorry, Y/n. I love you, I really do, but there's stuff I need to do.' Paul finally looked up so his dark brown eyes met your own.

'What do you mean?' You asked, not really wanting to know the outcome.

'I... I don't know. I just... can't do this right now.' Paul sighed and took your hand. 'But whatever the outcome, I want to be in your life forever.'

Those words, no matter the outcome, most definitely meant a break up. Nobody could say otherwise, because Paul would've said something different had he interned for you two to stay together.

'I'm so, so sorry, Y/n.' Paul said. You felt the hot prick of tears in your eyes.

'This is a break up, isn't it?' You felt a clump of saliva stick in your throat. 

Paul's eyes started to water. 'Yeah. I guess it is.' He started to reach out his hand to take yours, but drew it back towards his chest. 'I'm sorry.' Paul gave one last sad smile before turning to leave, abandoning you saddened with unwanted tears streaming down your burning cheeks.

That was it? It was over? All this for there's stuff I need to do. You felt so stupid, you knew you couldn't blame yourself but you sure felt like doing so.

That night you went home and cried like never before, this was a different type of crying. You felt so heartbroken, you literally felt heartbroken. You could physically feel your heartstrings slowly tearing apart. By the time the glittering sun shone through your window, your voice was gone, throat was dry and you didn't think you had one tear in you. 

Nobody was told that you and Paul broke up, but they all caught on pretty quickly. Nobody said a thing because they all assumed it was a sensitive subject, which it was.

Days slowly crept by, and even though Paul claimed he wanted to be in your life, to be your friend, he never spoke to you. He would smile occasionally, but wouldn't ask to hang out or even wave or as how your day was when you two were in the same room. Soon, your sadness dripped into a slow annoyance, then a slight hate. 

You got fed up with what you remembered Paul to be. He was a thing of the past, a memory. And you thanked him for those memories, true, but not the ones he chose to help make now. 

You decided to use this as fuel for something and you took up running. You started off small, one mile every couple of days, then two, then three, then slowly you could run ten miles without breaking a sweat. By the time you were done, you were doing it for yourself, not because of Paul. You were at your top physically and mentally, and loving it.

One day you were running fifteen miles. The trail wrapped from a small village near your home, winding through the neighbouring forest, up a peak and down to the beach by the Atreides palace. It was the first time you didn't loop around a tree you marked and run back to your home, you were doing the full thing. 

You started off at a good pace, evening your breathing and setting a steady jogging pace for yourself. Your mind wandered as you set yourself into autopilot. The trail quickly turned from the cobblestone road to dirt, wound through trees, and up a peak where you decided to take a break.

The cool breeze whipped your hair and allowed steam to leave you. Sucking in a large breath, you sat on a rock, deciding to take a break. 

You heard footsteps behind you and turned around, immediately wishing you didn't. Paul walked towards you, a timid smile on his face.

'Hey.' He said.

'Hi.' You replied, turning around to face the open waters. 

'How are you?' Paul asked as he sat beside you.

'Fine.' You said curtly.

'You look good.' Paul tried again.

'Thanks.'

Paul seemed to be at a loss. He sat there for a moment, not saying anything. 'So-'

'Stop, Paul.' You interrupted him. 'Just don't. Not after what happened.'

'I'm so sorry, Y/n.' Paul turned to face you, plea oozing from his voice.

'Sorry? That's all you can say?' You looked at him. 'You leave me and a two year relationship because you have some stuff to do. That's pathetic. Next time you break up with anyone unfortunate enough to be with you, have a good excuse.'

 Paul sat in silence for a moment. You could see the cogs turning in his brain.

'Look,' he finally spoke, 'I deserved. But you deserve an explanation.'

'That I do.' You said.

'To be honest, I don't know why I broke up with you. You're such an amazing person, beautiful and kind-hearted and loving. It was foolish of me to ever let you go. And I know I have no right to ask you to get back together with me. But would there be even the slightest bit of a chance I could ask you to give me a second chance?' Paul's eyes pleaded with you as he spoke.

You looked at him in disbelief. 'No way. No way you said that.' 

Paul looked at the ground.

'On what grounds do you have to ask me that?' You hissed. 'You leave me alone, crying, deserted after two years and two years later you come back and ask me out again? Hell no. Hell. No. Do you know how long it took me to get out of bed in the morning after you broke up with me? A hell of a long time. So leave me alone and don't ask me again.'

You stood up and was ready to jog away. 

Paul grabbed your wrist and spun you around.

'I love you.' He said.

'I wish you'd said that two years ago.' You whispered before turning to finish your jog.