No, I-

a/n: Story idea suggested by @kcurran26<3

~~~

You stared at Paul, mouth gaping open. The day started out so well, you were going to have lunch with your best friend, the person you'd die for, only for him to tell you the worst news ever.

'I'm so sorry, Y/n.' Paul said sincerely. 'I have to go.'

'Why? Why are you leaving me?' You asked, pleaded. You didn't want him to leave.

'It's for my father's work. I promise I'll keep in contact with you, and visit when I can.' Paul replied. He took your hands. 'I promise.'

'You're moving planets, Paul. It's not as easy to visit as it would be if you were moving to the other side of Caladan.'

'That's true, but Y/n, you mean the world to me, nothing can change that. Not even moving across the galaxy.' Paul's eyes begged with you to sympathise.

'Do you have to go?' You asked.

'Yes, I do.' Paul said.

You took a moment to think. This situation wasn't Paul's fault, you knew that. He did care for you, you knew that. You just didn't know how to react.

'Ok.' You sighed. You opened your arms for a hug.

'I love you, Y/n.' Paul said.

'Mmhm so do I.' You snickered, back to your regular banter.

Paul sighed, he meant it another way, he said that every time he said 'I love you' but you never understood what he meant. He couldn't deny it hurt his feelings but he didn't say anything about it.

'We'll be ok.' You said as you pulled away from Paul.

'Yeah, we will.' Paul nodded.

The next few weeks went by rapidly. You'd hang out, every time you left Paul would say he loved you. It struck you as odd, but you didn't think much of it, chalking it up to the fact that he was sad about leaving.

The day finally came when you had to see Paul off. You stood on the deck, hardly ready to say goodbye.

Paul wrapped you in a hug, his warm smelling cologne filled your nostrils. It was the last time you'd smell it for a long time.

'Be safe, ok?' You pleaded.

'I'll try, but you know me.' Paul tried to smile.

'I do.' You chuckled sadly. 'I'll miss you, Paul.'

'I'll miss you too.' Paul said. He took a moment to think. 'I love you.'

'I love you too.' You smiled.

'No, I-'

'I know, Paul. I love you too.' You insisted.

Suddenly, Paul's father appeared behind him. 'Come on, Son. We need to leave.'

Paul looked at you one last time. 'Goodbye, Y/n.'

'Goodbye, Paul.'