Background ~ Soulmates p2

You walked across the desert, the scorching sun rays hitting your back. You had two days travel ahead of you. You and Chani walked in front of Paul.

'What do you think that Sulbir will say?' You asked. Sulbir was a close friend of yours, who'd always found Jamis to be a tad annoying.

'He might praise the very ground Paul walks on.' Chani shrugged. Correction, Sulbir found Jamis to be a lot annoying.

You glanced back at the boy, who's eyes met your own. After showing him your face, you saw no point in hiding it, so your mask only hid the bottom half while your eyes were exposed. Turning back, you saw Chani's eyes on you.

'What?' You asked.

'I think he likes you.' Chani whispered.

'Chani, did you see the look on his face when he saw you?'

'He was surprised to see me, that's all. He didn't expect to see me there.'

'Right.' You nodded. Silence fell as you walked a bit longer, you then felt something trip you and you fell into the sand. You groaned as you spat out a handful of sand that'd made it into your mask.

'Are you okay?' Paul helped you up.

'I'm fine.' You mumbled, wiping the sand off your suit and glancing up. Chani was holding her middle finger to her thumb, a signal between you two that was sort of a laughing sorry, like you're not really sorry but you're just apologising. Great. Chani'd just tripped you so you'd catch Paul's attention.

'Just tripped. That's all.' You pulled off your glove and mask to wipe out the sand.

'What...' Paul's voice was barely audible, but he'd clearly noticed. You had a similar glowing-flower-and-vine pattern on the back of your right hand.

'This?' You held it up.

'What is that?' He asked.

'Please, tell me.' You replied. 'No idea.' You watched him as he reached out and took your hand in his, rotating it to get a better look. He then blushed and dropped it when he realised what he was doing.

'Sorry.' He mumbled.

'Don't worry about it.' You replied. 'It's better than grabbing my head to look at the mark on there.' You laughed.

Paul laughed too, and you realised something. You liked it. You liked the sound of his laugh, you thought it was sweet, along with his voice, and eyes, and amazing hair. You liked him.

Shit. Not good. Not good at all.

'So, um, how'd you, er, get them?' Paul asked.

'What?' You frowned, not understanding. 'My markings? Eyes?'

'Both, I guess.' Paul shrugged.

Chani glanced behind her and gave you a 'tell him later' look.

You nodded.

'I'll tell you later, I need to do something first.' And with that, you jogged up to Stilgar.

-

The underground tent was cooler than the surface at this time of day. It was large, with the sweat-absorption polls full of water from yourself and the others. It had been months since you picked up Paul and Jessica, and you've yet to reach your destination.

You sat at the back of the tent, watching as everyone else slept. Your eyes were half-closed when Paul moved next to you. He couldn't sleep either.

He kept opening his mouth as though he was going to ask something, but never did.