One - "I should have worn my lucky red underwear."

Chapter One

Pia's POV

I sat very still, as I watched the Human Resource Manager slide back gracefully into her high-backed chair, behind the vintage wooden table. Miss Murphy, a middle-aged lady, wearing a gray suit, with her black hair pulled back away from her face in a loose bun.

I kept my fingers crossed, holding my breath, waiting for the decision. It has been my dream to work in New York University, my alma mater, where my mom and dad also graduated.

"Sorry for making you wait, Miss Rosi..." she gave me a faint smile, and laid my resume on her table. She left me earlier to talk to the university president, Mr. Andrews, her expression was hopeful then, but now... she looked more serious.

I smiled back nervously, as I waited for her to continue. Still hopeful to get a positive result.

"Well, Mr. Andrews is very impressed with your resume. You were always on the dean's list... Your participation in the university clubs and extracurricular activities are remarkable. Your volunteer work for the university's fundraising projects are very much appreciated. He wants you to know that he's very grateful for your help. As to your character... very excellent, a leader is born in you. You have all the qualifications we need for our history teacher."

I was overwhelmed with joy, hearing her pleasant words. It felt so great being appreciated for all my hard work in studying, participation and accomplishments in the University.

I invested too much blood, sweat and tears to achieve my dream: to become a history professor initially, then work on my main goal, which is to publish academic articles and books.

I enjoyed studying, reading and learning about the past. I believe that historical knowledge is very vital in understanding humanity, events, cultures, beliefs, science and other things. It explains the hows, whats and whys that transpired in the present time.

"Thank you. I had fun doing the volunteer work, the experiences were very challenging, and I gained so many friends."

"I'm glad you see it that way," I saw her heave a deep sigh, and her smile slowly faded.

Oh no.

"But I'm sorry to say that we are not hiring a history professor right now. Despite your very impressive resume," she clicked her tongue, took a short pause, "we can't give you a spot."

I listened with rising dismay. My heart sank, and suddenly all pleasure left me.

"I can work as a volunteer.... or an apprentice. It's okay if it's not a regular job, just a little allowance for my food and gas will do," I spoke with quiet, but desperate and firmness.

She shook her head, "the university doesn't take volunteer or apprentice professors. I'm sorry, Miss Rosi. It's the president's decision, we cannot contest that. But don't worry, I'll put you in our priority list. I'll call you as soon as we start hiring, okay?"

I forced my lips to part in a curved, stiff smile, then nodded, "thank you for your time, Miss Murphy. I'll wait for your call."

Devastated, I walked towards my car, an old yellow hatchback, dragging my heavy feet. I turned and stared at the university's main building, then sighed.

"Darn it. I should have worn my lucky red underwear, maybe I'd get the job," I groaned aloud.

"Hey, Rosi. Are you okay?"

I heard Mr. Lee, one of the campus guards, behind me. He always calls me by my surname. I faced him, and bit my lower lip in dismay.

"No, I'm not," I answered in a sinking tone.