Fifteen - "Why are you touching me?"

Chapter Fifteen

Pia's POV

"Wow, you're still so fit at forty-five, Miss Rosi, climbing so fast like a twenty-two year old," Cameron mocked me, he shouted from the ground.

He was off duty already, and he came to help Jack and Larry with the ladder.

I glared at him, showing how mad I was. This idiot has no word of honor.

"You good?" Jack asked when I settled on the balcony.

"Yeah," I gave him a thumbs up, and hugged the box of medicine kit.

I pulled the sliding door of the balcony, feeling relieved that it was not locked. I went inside the master's bedroom, sneaking like a stray cat looking for food.

The room was so dark, my eyes found it hard to adjust to the darkness. I had been at the dining hall. They turned the lights so bright there, after Hector's throat got pricked by a fish bone.

I stood frozen, waiting for what to do next. There was no way that I could find any of the light switches, my only resort was to ask help from FREDA.

"FREDA, turn on the dim lights."

"Beam lights activated in three seconds," FREDA answered abruptly.

A sudden glaring light filled the room. My goodness, I did not know where it came from, it looked like the roof opened and a bright ray of sunlight got in.

I looked at the master on the king-sized bed, he was sleeping deeply like a log.

I missed what FREDA said, and I answered yes. Thinking that she would turn off the glaring lights, I was shocked when I heard the deafening sound of rock music.

The master stirred, he was awake.

I stayed silent. Waiting for him to speak, as I stood frozen at the foot of his bed.

"What the fuck," he said weakly, then he stopped the music and the glaring lights with a single instruction on FREDA.

Enough lights were turned on, and I saw him clearly. He was still lying on his bed, so weak and flushing.

He lifted his head, then jolted when he saw me.

"What the hell, I thought I already died, and saw a ghost!" he dropped his head back on his pillow, "what are you doing here, Miss Rosi. Eyeing for another book to read?"

"You're right, sir, but I can do that later. Right now, I have to do my job, and that is to take care of you."

"Ah, saving your employer from dying again," he said in a very tired voice, "leave me alone."

"No sir, you have to get better. I told you we don't want you to die. We need you to have better lives. Hector and Jean's daughter is going to enroll in a university. How can they afford it when they're jobless? I haven't even received my first paycheck yet, and the incentives that go with it. You need to be better to sign the check voucher."

"I don't need to sign anything for the payroll, it's automatic in the system," he muttered sleepily.

I moved closer to him, and pointed a digital temp gun on his forehead.

"What are you doing?" his forehead furrowed.

"Taking your temperature," I showed him the result, "it's 40 degrees celsius, it's too high."

"I don't give a damn, leave now," he rolled to the other side of the bed, away from me, "and that's an order."

I went to the door, and opened it using the passcode. Jean was already outside the bedroom door waiting, with a tray of chicken noodle soup.