Thirty Five - "I was blinded with love."

Chapter Thirty Five

Pia's POV

In the morning we went to a thrift store in the city, where dad always shops. Dad was in a foul mood. He chose jackets and jeans, and fitted them without asking for our opinion.

Mom was still sulking, not yet over from their fight.

"This place smells bad," her eyes rolled, she was complaining a lot, "I hate shopping here, and in every thrift store. They all smell the same. Old, dusty... sometimes I can smell dead bodies."

"Mom, shh. Dad can hear you. You'll end up fighting with him again."

"I'm tired of him being a cheapskate. He can afford to take us shopping in Fifth Avenue, but he just loves watching his savings grow in the bank."

"You never complained before," I reminded her that she supported him in being so frugal in everything. Buying food items near the expiration dates in grocery stores at half price, using coupons to avail huge discounts, and shopping in malls during on seasonal sale only.

"I was blinded with love," her lips twisted nastily, "ugh! He's such a terrible man, wanting everything simple. He brainwashed me that living a simple life makes a person happier. The truth is, he just doesn't want to spend his money."

"Don't say that, you'll make him feel terrible," I patted her back, "you just arrived from an amazing vacation. You should be happy."

She laughed sarcastically, " That vacation was a gift from Stavrakos company for his years of service. He did not even spend a cent, everything was reimbursed. He was taking advantage of it."

No wonder they were very extravagant, dining in restaurants, availing the tour packages, Island hopping and many more. I really thought Dad finally loosened up being a cheapskate.

"I regret not looking for a job when I was younger and relying on your dad financially until now," she pursed her lips, then shook her head, "if only I don't have this heart illness..."

She mumbled about getting tired easily and not being able to lift things.

"Don't worry, mom, you did great in raising me," I assured her, "and you're a great wife, you supported dad in everything, especially his career."

"I'm not so happy with my life anymore, I feel so depressed often. I am full of regrets and realizations... like I should have started something and made it big by now. I don't want to keep on growing old... and useless."

"Oh mom, you're not useless. Don't ever say that," I patted her back, "I understand how you feel, but it's not too late to start something now. If you like... you can write a book or start an online business. Many people are doing that right now."

"My grammar is terrible, and I don't have any patience to write a paragraph," she heaved a sigh, "I don't have any idea about business either, I can't do the math."

She was right, even with a calculator, she messed up.

"There are many things to do, like photography. You can post your images on many websites, and pay you. You're good at crocheting, make and learn more design. You can have someone sell it for you online. You just have to find your passion and follow it to succeed."

She heaved a long sigh, "you're right. I'm glad I told you about it, I feel relieved now," her eyes grew big, "and you gave me an idea! I'm very excited to start it."

Whatever it was, I felt happy for her.

We went to a Korean Samgyeopsal Restaurant for lunch. To my surprise, Mr. and Mrs. Coyle, Jacob's parents, joined us.