Forty Five - "You never called me by my name."

Chapter Forty Five

Kristov's POV

After four days in the hospital, I was feeling better.

Pia was with me most of the time, making it easier for me to cope with the pain and discomfort. She took care of me, and made me very happy everyday. We were so in love and we're both open in showing our love for each other.

Dad also visited me, almost everyday, but just quick visits that would not last more than five minutes. He just checked if I was recovering well and told me about what was the latest happening in the business.

My health was kept private, especially from the press. I did not allow any visitors even from relatives and close friends. I valued my peace of mind and focused on recovering faster.

Jacob Coyle was imprisoned. I had brilliant lawyers handling the case, making sure that he would be punished for what he had done.

I was so furious with the guy that I wanted him to vanish on the surface of the earth. I could easily order my men to feed him to the piranhas in the middle of the ocean or thrown in a pit of fire ants.

But hell, no. I'm a good guy. I know it's not the right way to deal with such matters.

A knock made me look at the wide oak door. It opened immediately and saw Dad entering the room.

"I talked to your doctor just now, he said you can go home tomorrow."

"Yeah, he came in early and informed me."

"I'm glad you're recovering well," Dad let out a long sigh, "the scare I went through when I thought I was going to lose you."

"You were afraid that nobody would inherit the Stavrakos fortune if that happens?" I answered jokingly, but there was a truth in it.

"Well, I thought of that, and how the fuck you were not still married at twenty seven. You should have left me an heir," he said cruelly, "I felt that all the hard work I did, the success and achievements I received, they all crumbled to the ground turning to dust."

"Now, you must feel relieved that I'm alive," I chuckled nastily.

"So relieved indeed. Now, I can pursue my plan to retire," he lifted his chin, his arms clasped together, "I can't wait to explore Southeast Asia... I'll visit Indonesia first, then Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia... and the Philippines..."

I started to understand Dad now. He was a very proud man. He wanted to project being cruel, ruthless, cold and evil, but deep inside, he was really a vulnerable, sympathetic, caring man. He was embarrassed to show his good side, because he saw it as a weakness. A weakness that he thought that people would use against him.

Pia told me that Dad showed her his vulnerable side when I had my near death experience. Knowing that he had my winning painting, and did a lot of effort to get it, was enough to show that he cared, and was really proud of me.

He did not want to be alone, he wanted me to stick with him. The reason he gave me too much responsibility.

That made sense. The way he tried to control, manipulate and take advantage of me. And I was like a robot, trying to please and obey him.

We were both lost, in heart and soul. But I was lucky, because I found my own way. Pia helped me get out of my cocoon and open my mind on things that I refused to acknowledge before. My heart started healing and filling up with love and happiness.

"When I was fighting for my life, I dreamed of Mom and Anton," I interrupted Dad, when he was talking about the pretty women he met in India.

"Really?" he perked up.