Thirty Nine - "Your coffee is getting cold."

Chapter Thirty Nine

Kristov's POV

Sunday evening I arrived home and went directly to the lighthouse.

Hanging out with Pia and his parents gave me this warm, joyful and euphoric feeling. I had never felt this sense of belongingness for a long time, and it made me feel so alive.

I worked on my painting of Pia, capturing her sparkling brown eyes, her high cheekbones on her delicate face, her temptingly curved slightly parted lips...

I was nearly finished, when my private phone rang. My heart leaped in excitement thinking it was Pia, but...

"What the hell were you thinking, bringing a woman inside the office building last night!"

I pressed my lips together, controlling my temper.

"Good evening too, Dad. Nice to hear from you."

"Fuck with the pleasantries. You boy, should keep your mind straight. I don't want any worthless hooker inside our building. Do you understand!"

"She's not a hooker! For heaven's sake. She's my girlfriend."

"Since when did you start getting girlfriends, huh? You can fuck as many women as you want, sky's the limit, but you're not getting a girlfriend. Do you understand?" Dad cussed angrily.

"I'm not that kind of person, who treats girls like toys," I hissed, "this is my life, dad, you can't dictate to me what I want."

"Do you want to be a good businessman? If you want to be like me, then do what I say. Fuck that damn girl, then get rid of her. Don't commit yourself, because all girls are the same. They will poison your mind. Control and manipulate you. They're after two things only. Your dick and access to your bank account."

"Pia isn't that kind of girl. I'll prove it to you," I heaved a sigh, feeling agitated, "when you come back, I'll arrange dinner for you to meet her."

Dad cursed, "don't bother. I'm not interested in meeting any brainless bimbo."

My anger immediately escalated to fury, "don't call her that, she's a very intelligent woman. She has a degree."

"Even if she has a PhD, she's a dirt on my shirt that I want to get rid of," he bursted, "you know I want you to marry Ramona. She's not a gold digger, like anyone else. You have the same mindset and perceptions in life. Your goals and ambitions are aligned. She can help you run the company, making it the biggest business empire in the whole world."

"Why do you keep on forcing me on her? For heaven's sake. I don't love her!"

"Love?" Dad roared into laughter, "now I can see what happened here, that pest really poisoned your mind. We, the Stavrakos men, don't fall in love, son. Love is toxic, a poison that we should avoid. You won't get anywhere if you believe in love. It's a disease with no cure."

I paused, trying to absorb what he said. Then I replied, in a very calm and confused voice.

"Are you saying... that you don't have any feelings for mom?" When dad did not answer, I repeated, accusingly, "you never loved her!"

"What your mother and I had is something that we agreed on. She knew from the very beginning what to expect when she entered into our marriage," he said firmly, "yes, feelings were not involved. It was a business arrangement that both of us benefited. And look where that led us? Our company wouldn't have been mega successful if I had any feelings that would only make a man weak."

Disappointment overwhelmed me, knowing the real status of my parents' previous relationship.

"If that's your perception in life, then mine is different," I tightened my lips in anger, "I hope you're happy."