Eleven - "It's the time of the year again."

Chapter Eleven

Kristov's POV

"You have to eat, sir, it's already five p.m. You skipped breakfast and lunch today, you're going to pass out," Jack murmured behind me, as we left the Stavrakos building, on my way home.

"Mind your own business, Jack. I don't need you lecturing me about food or proper nutrition right now, it's not the best time of the year," I snapped at him, then went inside the back of my Rolls-Royce Sweptail.

I settled at the back, alone, and closed the electrochromic glass window between me, and Jack and the driver in front. I switched a button and turned the smart glass windows to dark.

I sank on my seat, and closed my eyes. It was the time of the year again, when I wanted to die.

The petrol was leaking, I could still smell its foul odour until now.

"Save yourself, Kristov..." Mom said between tears, as her hand held mine.

"No, mom. I can't leave you and Anton behind," I tried to pull her out of the car again, but she cried out of the pain. Her feet were stuck under the front seat.

"I can't move them," she groaned, "go, call 911."

Panicked, I took my phone with clumsy fingers and pressed the numbers. I reported the incident, then turned my attention to my brother who was trapped in the driver's seat.

"Anton! Wake up! This car is going to blow!"

But Anton already passed out. Either he passed out because of the accident, or he fell asleep while driving.

He had been out with his university friends, and volunteered to fetch me and mom from the Art Painting event that we attended, when he learned that I won the competition. First Prize.

It was a happy snowy night for us, we were very ecstatic, until Anton lost his grip from the steering wheel, and the car hit the rails.

I was glad when the rescuers arrived, I felt so relieved.  I thought that was it, we all survived. 

An officer dragged me away from the car, when all of a sudden, I heard an explosion.

I turned around abruptly, shocked to see the car on fire.

"NOooooo!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs trying to run to the burning car but the rescuers stopped me, holding me tightly.

I saw vividly, my mom on fire. She was screaming, crying and calling me for help. 

Then she stopped, and just stared at me. I could see the hopelessness on her face, until she mouthed the words 'I love you, Kristov," and she was swallowed by the flame.

Pia's POV

I had a fifteen minutes break in the afternoon, so I decided to call my parents.

"Your dad is out fishing again. He's been doing it for the last three days already with some locals in the area," Mom said, then talked non stop about the latest gossip in Hollywood. She just loved to gossip about anything, it was her favorite pastime.

When I did not reply, doubting if I was still on the phone, she asked about my job.

"Doing great so far. We just started the research, so we're still gathering some data."

"Are you enjoying your job?"

"Yeah, um... yesterday, I got to swim in the giant pool," I pressed my lips together, recalling the incident.