Chapter 1

Juliette sat in a large chair in the Barber living room as she waited for Laurie to come back to interview her for the nanny position. She looked at the pictures on the mantle of the seemingly happy family that she would soon be working for, taking in the smiles on their faces. She glanced back at the doorway as Laurie appeared with her daughter. Juliette stood up, accepting the baby from her, "she's so beautiful!" The small child had soft curly brown hair that framed her face and big blue eyes as she smiled up at Juliette.

Laurie smiled, watching Juliette staring adoringly at the baby, "thank you. She looks just like her daddy, who I'm sorry is apparently not going to make it. He's working late tonight."

Juliette shook her head, glancing at Laurie to offer her a smile of understanding, "it's totally fine. I get it." She looked down at the 9 month old baby as she sat on the floor with her to play with her, "you said her name is Emily?"

"Yeah. That's right. So you're in your last semester of school, right? Law school? Your resume says you're CPR certified as well."

Juliette smiled as she looked up at Laurie as she took her seat on the edge of the couch near where Juliette sat with Emily, "I am, yes. I took extra classes at the beginning so I only have two now, in the mornings."

Laurie nodded with a smile, "right. So you'd be able to take her to daycare and pick her up after class and bring her back here? We made you your own room right next to hers. It has a desk, a bed and a dresser. And a new tv."

"That's very kind of you. Thank you." She looked back down at Emily, infatuated with her sweet face. "And yes. I'll be around in the mornings to help with breakfast and getting everyone out of the house on time. And I can help after classes. With whatever you need." She heard Laurie sigh as she looked back up at her. Laurie smiled but it didn't seem sincere, merely a mask. Something about her demeanor told Juliette she was just putting on a front for her.

"That'll work out great Julie. You have no idea how big of a help you'll be. Andy is at work a lot. And so am I. And I don't necessarily trust her with our son for extended periods of time." She laughed, "nothing against Jacob, you just know how teens are. They have a lack of focus." She stood up, "you don't have a lot of stuff do you?"

Juliette took the hint from Laurie and stood up with Emily, shaking her head, "no ma'am. Clothes. Computer. Some books. That's about it."

Laurie nodded, "ok. Great. I'll get Andy to get you a bookshelf for your room. Come on." Juliette followed Laurie upstairs to the hallway. Laurie pointed at the end of the hall, "that's mine and Andy's room. Behind you is Jacob's." She opened the door in front of her, "this is your room. Feel free to decorate however you like. I'll give you an extra allowance for any necessities you need for moving in. New bedding, curtains. Whatever. The babies room is next door and bathroom is next to Jacob's room. I'm sorry, but you'll have to share with him."

Juliette laugh, "totally fine. I'm the youngest of three brothers. I've shared bathrooms with teenage boys."

Laurie smiled, "right. Also, this may be delicate but I'd appreciate if you were cautious about what you wear around Jacob. Teenage hormones and what not."

Juliette blushed, taken aback by Laurie's request as she nodded, "sure. Of course." Did Laurie think she was going to be running around naked or something?

Laurie took Emily from Juliette rather roughly, "Andy will be here on Saturday to help you move in. I have some work to do at the office. I will get you keys and everything made between now and then. Oh! Here, follow me." Juliette accepted Emily back as Laurie shoved the baby back into her arms. She held onto Emily firmly as she followed Laurie back down the stairs and into the kitchen. Laurie pulled a checkbook from her purse, writing a check and handing it to Juliette as she took back Emily. "For stuff for your room."

Juliette looked at the check and back up at Laurie, "that's great. Thank you so much Mrs. Barber."

Laurie smiled, "you can call me Laurie, please. Thank you Juliette. I'll see you Saturday afternoon." Juliette nodded, taking the hint as she grabbed her bag from the living room before leaving the house.

~~~

"So? How was it?"

Juliette shrugged as she plopped onto her friend's couch. She had been staying there since school started for the semester. She stopped paying for the dorm, it having gotten to be too expensive. "It was good Brie. The mom was nice enough, I guess. I didn't get to meet the dad yet. But I know who he is: Andy Barber."

Brie smiled, "oh my god. ADA Barber is the dad you're going to be working for? I heard he was super hot."

Juliette shrugged, "I don't know. Only saw him in pictures. Sure he's attractive but he's also almost 40. That's weird and gross."

Brie laughed, "oh come on. You'll see when you meet him. Hot nanny. Hot daddy. I feel like I've stepped into a porno."

Juliette laughed out, throwing the remote at Brie as her friend grunted, "that's disgusting. He's married Brie, hot or not. I think you've watched too much porn. And I'm just looking to make some money for my own place after I graduate."

Brie only rolled her eyes and moved on from the subject of the potentially hot dad she would be working for, "still planning on staying here in Boston?"

Juliette rested her head back against the couch, "I think so, yeah. I like it on the east coast. Im tired of the west coast."

Brie smiled, "good. I like having you here."

Juliette moved closer, resting her head on Brie's shoulder, "I like being here too."

Brie giggled, "I feel another porn coming."

"Oh my god!" Juliette laughed, hitting Brie in the arm.

"Im kidding! Geez." She patted her lap as Juliette laid her head down, "I definitely want to see it if you make one with daddy Barber though."  Brie laughed as she saw Juliette roll her eyes and groaned before rolling towards the tv. "You need to lighten up. You take everything too seriously Juliette."

"Yeah yeah. I know."