Chapter 10

Andy turned to Juliette as they parked, "if it's too much, feel free to step away. It's okay." Juliette nodded as she followed him out of the car. She kept her hands in the pockets of her coat as she followed Andy into the woods where the crime scene was roped off. Andy motioned to Juliette as they approached the police tape, "this is my intern. She's joining me to learn the ropes about what I do."

The police officer nodded, letting them both pass as Juliette sighed, following Andy. The girl's body was face down, naked with leaves in her blonde hair. She felt Andy watching her as they rolled the body over for them to see the girl looked roughly her age. The girl had slice marks on her face as well as bruises around her neck implying strangulation. Juliette groaned, turning away from the body as she felt Andy's hand on her back.

He leaned down to her ear, "don't throw up on my crime scene love." He saw her shake her head as she walked away to the border of the police tape.

"Are you okay ma'am?"

She turned to see a younger cop, a few years older than her smiling at her. "I'm okay. First crime scene."

The cop nodded as he held out his hand to her, "I see. I'm Ian. Would you like me to get you something to drink or something?"

She looked down at his hand, accepting it, "Julie. I'm fine. Thanks though." She watched him hover around for a bit before walking away.

"So you're an attorney?"

Juliette sighed, turning back as Ian once more approached her from behind, "I'm in my last semester. So, almost?" She smiled as he chuckled. She nodded politely, looking past him to Andy. "Excuse me." She approached Andy, standing next to him as he talked to the officers about the girl and who found the body.

Once they were done, Andy looked at his watch as they walked back to his car. He sighed as he got into the driver's seat, "let me buy you breakfast. Then I'll probably have to go into the office for a while."

Juliette nodded, "sure Andy."

He looked at her, "are you okay?"

She watched him as she felt his hand on her thigh, "I'm okay. That's two in a month."

Andy sighed, "I know. I'm definitely going to be getting pressure now."

~~~

Juliette sat across from Andy in the booth as they both ordered coffee. "I don't know if it's the best idea, but why don't you come and work as an actual intern at my office? I'm sure I can work it out."

Juliette looked up at Andy as he watched her. She leaned towards him, "I'm not sure that is a great idea Mr. Barber. And I have class and I'm still your nanny. I think we get into enough trouble at home as it is."

Andy chuckled as the waitress came to take their orders. Once they both ordered their breakfasts, he looked back at Juliette, "but it would be hot. We can work around your school. You wouldn't have to come in everyday. Maybe a few days a week?" He leaned back against the booth, "you know how many young lawyers want to intern at the DA's office Jules?"

She scoffed, shaking her head, "I know. But would I be getting it for who I am as an attorney, or would I be getting it because I'm sleeping with the ADA?"

He shrugged, "why can't it just be because I believe in you?"

"Andy..." She saw him look up past her as someone approached behind her. She sighed when she was who it was, "Ian."

He nodded at Andy and then at Juliette. "Julie." He motioned to the table, "I see you guys had the same idea as me."

Juliette smiled politely seeing Andy smirk at their interaction. She motioned to Andy, "yeah. We were just..."

Ian interrupted her, "I won't keep you. I was wondering if I could take you out sometime?"

"Um.." Juliette blushed, highly aware of Andy watching them, "I'm sort of seeing someone. I'm sorry Ian. Also, meeting at a crime scene, a little inappropriate, don't you think?" She groaned as she watched his face turn red, "I'm sorry Ian." She went to touch his arm but he pulled it away.

He shook his head, visibly angry, "it's totally fine. I'm sorry."

She heard Andy snicker as Ian walked away. "It isn't funny!" She kicked Andy in the shin.

"Ow!" He leaned back at their food arrived, watching Juliette. "It was a little funny. Sort of seeing someone?"

She shrugged, "what was I supposed to say?" She leaned towards him, speaking quieter, "sorry, for one you creep me out. And for two I'm the nanny and also fuck buddy to ADA Barber here?"

Andy laughed, "don't say that. Is that all we are Ms. Price? Fuck buddies?"

She shrugged again, "I don't know. What are we?"

He groaned, "I don't know. Early stages. Why can't we just enjoy and get to know each other Jules without having to label it. Especially since I'm going to be going through a divorce soon."

She nodded, "hopefully. Or else I become yet another cliché of 'he said he would leave her'."

Andy sighed, "okay. Let's just talk about the case. What can you tell me from what you've observed?"

"Fine." She sat up, "I assume there's been sexual activity with all the women?" She saw him nod his confirmation as she continued. "The markings on the face and the strangling seem to imply something more personal, yeah? You must really hate someone to have so much anger that you enjoy watching the life drain out of them as you strangle them. Strangling is a super personal way of killing someone. Not just that, but a power dynamic. He wants to show them that he's the one in charge. I would take a guess that it's someone that gets rejected by these women that exacts his revenge on them. Raping them, mutilating their face; so they are no longer attractive and then strangling them. But even though it may seem like it, he isn't sloppy. He uses condoms and gloves. He's careful about leaving DNA." She sighed, "this is a legitimate thing women have to worry about. If we reject the wrong man we suddenly become enemy number one. Because men seem to think they have some sort of right over women and their bodies."

Andy nodded, "I'm impressed. By that assessment alone would earn you a job at the DA's office. Think about the internship. I'm serious. You have a bachelors, right? What's it in?"

Juliette smiled, "psychology."