Chapter 17

Juliette holds Emily on her hip as she hears her phone going off in her pocket a few weeks later. She sets Emily in her pack and play in the living room before answering the phone. "Pete. Hey."

'Hey little one. Just making sure you got the money I sent you.'

Juliette sighed as she went into the kitchen to make Emily and herself a snack. "I did. I told you I don't want your money Pete."

'I know. I know. I worry about you. I don't like you having to take a nanny job when you should be focusing on school and finding an attorney position Julie.'

She sighed again, leaning against the counter, "I know. I appreciate that Pete. I happen to be interning at the DA's office half the week. So that will be good on my resume. You worry too much about me."

He chuckled, 'I know I do. It's my job. Who else is around to worry about you? Now are you going to tell me about whoever you're dating before I get there in a few weeks for Thanksgiving? Am I going to meet him? What are we doing?'

Juliette groaned, "no. You are not going to be meeting him. Because I don't want your judgement or opinion. And I thought we could go out to eat just the two of us. I don't have my own place and I think it would be awkward to have dinner here with the Barbers."

'Well whatever you want is fine with me. I get in late Wednesday and leave Friday. I booked a hotel. Why would I judge you about who you're dating?'

"Please Pete. I don't want to talk about it. We can talk about it when you get here, okay?"

Peter sighed, 'okay. I have to get back to work. I love you Julie. Take care of yourself, please.'

"I am. I love you too, Pete."

~~~

Andy came home early, hearing Juliette playing the guitar quietly upstairs. He walked into the hallway upstairs as he heard Juliette in Emily's room. He peeked inside to see Emily giggling as Juliette played and sung for her.

Juliette watched Emily as she looked up, smiling at Andy in the doorway. She stopped playing, "Andy. You're home early."

He smiled, leaning down to pick up Emily, "I am." He chuckled as Emily cooed a 'dada' at him. He looked back at Juliette as she stood up with her guitar, going into her own room. He followed her, still holding Emily, "does it have to be awkward between us? You're avoiding me Jules."

She sighed, avoiding looking at him as she crossed her arms over her chest, "because I want you but I can't have you Andy."

He brought his hand up to her cheek, "you can. Just have to give me some time. I want you too Jules."

She leaned into his hand as she watched him, distracted by Emily giggling at them. She smiled, taking Emily from him, "I'm gonna put her down for a nap." Andy nodded, watching her for a moment before going into his room. Once Juliette put Emily down for a nap, she went into her room to do work when she heard the door open as Andy entered. She noticed he had changed into jeans and a t-shirt, "Andy." She knew from the look on his face what he wanted, making her groan as she stood up.

He closed the door behind him, leaning back against the door as he watched her, "Jules." His voice was more pleading than he had intended as Juliette approached him. He rested a hand at her waist, the other hand at her neck as he heard her breathing heavy. "I want to touch you. Please."

She moaned as she nodded, removing her shirt before wrapping her arms around him as he pushed her back to the bed as he removed her bra. She pulled off his shirt as he trailed kisses down her neck. She undid his pants as he pulled hers down, pulling them off with her panties, before standing up to remove his own. He wasted no time, positioning himself between her legs as he entered her swiftly.

"God Jules." He nipped at her shoulder, up to her neck as they heard the door downstairs slam shut.

"Andy?! Are you home?"

"Fuck!" Andy jolted out of Juliette's bed as they both got dressed quickly as they heard Laurie walk past Juliette's room to her own.

Andy came out of Juliette's room, walking into the bedroom he shared with Laurie, "you're home early."

She smiled and shrugged, "yeah." She watched him, inspecting the t-shirt that was on inside out, "where were you?"

He shrugged, "I was helping Jules with some work."

"Uh huh." Laurie nodded as she walked past him, entering Juliette's room to see her sitting at her desk. "Where's Emily?"

Juliette smiled, doing her best to calm her erratic heart beat, "she's napping before dinner."

Laurie leaned against the doorframe for a moment, noticing the bed was messed up, "okay. What are your plans for Thanksgiving?"

"Oh." Juliette looked from Laurie to Andy who stood behind her, "my brother Peter is coming into town. We just planned on going out to eat, just the two of us. I didn't want to intrude on your family time."

Laurie smiled, shaking her head, "nonsense. You are family Julie. Invite your brother. It will be nice to more people."

Juliette stood up, shaking her head, "I don't know if that's a good idea."

Laurie shrugged, looking from Andy to Juliette, "why not? It's fine. We are happy to have him, aren't we Andy?"

Andy nodded, "of course. It would be nice to meet your brother."

Juliette sighed, "okay. Thanks."

Andy hung back as Laurie went downstairs. He entered Juliette's room, "I'm sorry Jules." He brought his hand up to her cheek as she took a step back.

"I can't do this anymore Andy. What if she would have came in here before going to her room?"

He groaned, "I don't know. Maybe you're right. Maybe we could just tell her. I want to be with you Jules."

She shook her head, "I don't think that's a great idea."

"Why not?"

Juliette sighed, "because what if she uses it against you. You were right Andy. You're a husband and more importantly, a father. What if she uses it against you when it comes to custody? I can't get in the middle of all that. I'm not sure we really thought any of this through Andy."

He shook his head, taking a step towards her, "what are you saying Jules? You don't want to be with me?"

"Of course I do. But it doesn't mean we should be or that we ever could be. It just isn't in the cards Andy. Not for us." She sat back at her desk, avoiding his gaze until she heard him finally leave. Once the door was shut, she laid her head in her hands on the desk as the tears she had been holding back streaked her cheeks, falling onto her open book.