Chapter 34

"Shh. Sweet girl." Juliette chuckled as she lifted Emily from her crib, "we need to get you a bigger bed I think." Emily giggled as Juliette moved her to the changing table, getting her changed and dressed for the day. "We have to be quiet and not wake up Jacob." She carried Emily down to the living room, turning on cartoons for her. She found Andy in the kitchen, dressed and making breakfast. "There you are." She wrapped her arms around him from behind as he chuckled.

"Good morning love. I see you girls are awake and ready to start the day. Once I finish we can get Jacob up."

She nodded, pulling away from him as she made them both some coffee, "of course. Do you think Laurie is going to be mad about your present for Jacob?"

"You mean our present. You can't leave me hanging out there by myself."

Juliette laughed, leaning against the counter beside him as she drank her coffee, "of course. We're in it together. Always."

He grinned, leaning down to kiss her on the top of the head, "damn right. And yes, she's going to be pissed. But I don't care. He's 17."

"Who's 17?"

Juliette stood up straight, smiling as Jacob plodded into the kitchen, combing his hair with his hand. "Happy birthday Jacob!"

He chuckled, hugging Juliette before hugging Andy, "thanks. You're making breakfast?"

Andy scoffed, "I am. What's wrong with that?"

Jacob laughed and shrugged, "nothing. I would just prefer if it was Julie."

She giggled, kissing his head, "I'll make dinner. Whatever you want. Yeah?"

He grinned, "thanks."

Andy shook his head, "no one appreciates me."

Juliette giggled again, wrapping her arms around him, "he's just playing with you."

"I know." He began to plate the pancakes as Emily came into the kitchen and Jacob scooped her up and sat her in a chair. Juliette helped Andy set up the table, making sure everyone had food as they all sat together. Andy grinned at Jacob, "eat up. Once you're done, you need to go get dressed. Then you can have your present from Jules and me."

~~~

Juliette stood at the front door with Andy and Emily as Jacob came back downstairs after a shower and getting dressed. "Ready?"

Jacob nodded, "yes?" She chuckled, opening the door, letting him exit first. He stopped on the front porch, staring at the small black SUV with a red bow on it. "You guys bought me a car?!"

Andy nodded, patting his shoulder, "we did. We figured it would was a good time. You're about to start your senior year and going off to college next year, and you can take it with you. You still have to pay for the gas and insurance and upkeep. But Juliette and I pulled money together and bought it for you. We wanted you to know it was from the both of us."

"Thank you!" He hugged them both before rushing to the car to check everything out. 

Andy laughed, following him, handing him the keys. "Thought you might want to drive to the party."

~~~

Juliette groaned as they pulled up to the entertainment complex to see Laurie arrive at the same time. Andy looked back at her from the front seat, "don't worry about it. I'll handle her." She nodded as they all piled out of the car.

Jacob grinned at Laurie as she approached them, "dad and Julie bought me a car for my birthday!"

Laurie scoffed and crossed her arms over her chest, glaring at Juliette and Andy. He handed Emily to Jacob, "take her inside, we'll be in in a few minutes." Jacob only nodded as he disappeared inside.

"You bought him a car?! I thought we decided he would have to buy one himself if he wanted one!" 

"Laurie, he has a job and..." 

Laurie cut off Juliette before she could continue, "no! He's not your kid. He's mine and you don't get a say in important decisions like this!"

Andy stepped in front of Juliette between them, "first of all, you don't get to talk to her like that. Second of all, Jacob has a job at our office and makes his own money. He's a responsible kid that never asks for anything. He's going to be paying for the insurance and gas. We discussed it and thought it was necessary since he has school and after school activities. And we have Emily so we wanted to make sure he had his own car."

Laurie shook her head, "you should have discussed this with me and not her. I'm his mother, not her."

"You don't act like it. You only show up on special occasions to keep up appearances. I'm the one with him everyday. I'm the one making him breakfast and talking to him when he's upset, helping him with his homework. I'm the one mothering him, not you."

Laurie scoffed but Andy intervened before she could say anything. "Juliette isn't wrong. Now I'm sorry that I didn't tell you or warn you. But I did what I thought was best. And Juliette isn't going anywhere, so you need to figure out how you can get along with her." He grabbed Juliette's hand, threading his fingers through hers as he turned and led her inside without waiting for a response from Laurie. They found Jacob talking to Peter and Aimee, Peter holding Emily. She grinned and leapt for Andy when she saw him. He chuckled, grabbing her. "Talking with Uncle Pete?"

Peter laughed, "oh yes. I'm becoming quite attached."

"You could always have your own." Juliette nudged his shoulder as he grinned at Aimee.

"We'll get there."

"Mom was mad about the car, wasn't she?" Jacob looked disappointed at Andy.

"Yeah." Andy shrugged, "but don't worry about it. Just go have fun with your friends. It's your birthday."

Jacob nodded, "okay." He glanced at Andy and Peter, "you guys going to come and play laser tag?"

Andy laughed, "you bet." He squeezed Peter's shoulder, "want to demolish a bunch of teenagers old man?"

"Absolutely!" He kissed Aimee as Andy handed Emily to Juliette. "We'll be back."