15. A Hero's Return

A/n: Thank you to a lot of people who still read this fanfiction! I hope you like my fanfiction! If you like this chapter, don't forget to leave a comment and a vote.💕💕💕

The battlefield will always be a harsh field for all warriors

The battlefield will always be a harsh field for all warriors. No matter what kind of warrior you are, and no matter what weapon you hold to go against those who tried to destroy peace, sacrifices always have to be made. The last thing that James witnessed before he lost consciousness was a huge white explosion while Lady Diana held out her hand to protect him. He didn't know what happened next after that but he knew that they were able to reach the Cave of Truth and rescue Emrys before Earendill assassinate him. He didn't know whether Lady Diana survived the unexpected attack and he wished that she was still alive since before he collapsed in Emrys's arms was her smile. 

Moments later, he woke up while he was lying on the scaled skin of Alba the White Dragon, and as his consciousness returned to him, he looked in front of him and saw a white-haired old man wearing a red robe with embroidered gold threads at the robe's edges. He tried to find Lady Diana while they were still midair but she was nowhere to be seen. 

"You're awake," spoke Emrys. "I have to transform as an old man while midair to keep the two of us safe from Melven City."

"Where's Lady Diana, Emrys?" James asked him. "What happened to her?"

Emrys clutched hard on Alba's collar while a tear began to fall down his eyes. "You have to accept what happened to her to save us. She used a lot of her magic to create a huge barrier to protect the Cave of Truth and rescue us."

James began to sob silently as well and a sharp pain began to build in his heart. "I don't remember much about what happened before we reached the cave, sir. Why have I collapsed?"

"You were hit by a strong, elvish spell while trying to go to my cave," he answered her. "Don't worry about the spell as I have given you a cure."

"Is... Is she truly dead?" James could not accept that the woman who became one of his closest friends gave her life because of a war. "How did she die?"

"The barrier she made was beyond her power but she still did it," Emrys sighed. "As her master, I told her that I can do it to stop Eareandill from going against the gods and goddesses of Feth Fiada but she told me to save you instead as you were dying when you arrived in the cave. She lost her physical body and now, she'd forever be a soul residing in that cave as its barrier."

His words made James clutch his chest tighter as the pain grew in his heart. "If only I was stronger, I could have protected her! If I was just stronger, I may have defeated the Dark Lord! The war could have ended if only I was stronger!"

"Blaming yourself won't change anything," Emrys told him. "Lady Diana's happy to save you and she wanted you to go back safe and sound to your family. I will train your children as payment for what my apprentice had done."