07 - azul

two wishes granted
feat. lilia the lowkey matchmaker

".. azul? are you alright?"

azul stiffened, unconsciously straightening his back at the call of his name. "aah, i apologize. where were we again?" azul asked, fidgeting with his hand under his office table. he suddenly had an urge to loosen his tie.

".. the contract. i want to sign a contract with you." you repeated, as azul inwardly sighed. right– you only came here to sign a deal with him.

"before anything else, let's hear what you want first. my end of bargain will depend on yours, after all." azul said as he placed his elbow on top of his desk, intertwining his fingers together to rest his chin on top of it. the housewarden watched as you paused, blank eyes looking around for a bit– unfocused and hesitant.

".. i want to achieve happiness."

azul froze. now this was not something he expected.

"i need to be happy." you added, but it doesn't even reach azul's ears. you words blurred out as he was still in shock of your desire. you wanted to make a deal with him in exchange for.. happiness?

"i'm afraid you have to think of something else." azul said, fixing his glasses. "but.. the fae said that's the only thing i..." you mumbled with a look of disapointment. azul's ears perked at the small detail you let out– a fae? which one? was it malleus draconia? are the two of you acquainted? now that's a surprise.

"then i have nothing more to say. jade, escort lady l/n out, please." azul said before turning his gaze away from you. he busied himself by rearranging the scattered paperwork on top of his desk.

jade came into a halt when you suddenly raised a hand to stop him. "why?" you asked stubbornly. azul only remained silent. ".. is it because happiness is not meant for me?" the question slipped out of you in a small voice before you even realized it. you immediately composed yourself, bowing at the gentlemen before leaving the room yourself.

jade watched with amusement hidden in his eyes– azul was still frozen. he silently excused himself from azul's office to leave the housewarden alone with his thoughts.

"i want to achieve happiness."

azul ran his fingers through his hair before standing abruptly, pacing back and forth. he couldn't take his mind off of what you said earlier– happy? you wish to be happy?

ever since azul had laid his eyes upon you, he was immediately pulled to you. he grew this weird obsession of keeping up-to-date with what's going on in your life. floyd once teased him about being a creepy stalker, but azul paid no mind. it's not as if he's causing you harm or danger– he's merely.. interested in how you live your life. just like how a hunter gathers intel on his prey.

now, even though you two almost never talk to each other in real life, azul knew you well enough to say that you lived a monotonous life. nothing really catches your attention and it's boring you to death– this, azul is aware of.

for you, everyday is just a routine. waking up, getting ready for school, attending classes, helping vil with managing your dorm, heading home, going to bed, repeat.

that's precisely why azul was shocked to hear such a thing from you. although it did cross his mind that you might be unhappy and discontented with your life, it was still much shocking to hear it directly from you.

you didn't strike him as a person who'd sign a contract with him just to attain happiness.

but who was azul and what was he to you to assume that? a mere stranger. a classmate. a potential contractor. that's what.