11 - various: special!

zero three, twenty two
a birthday special

"what day is it today?"

kalim asked out of the blue, breaking the silence in the meeting room. no one answered until riddle decided to, only because he felt slightly awkward that everyone was ignoring the housewarden of scarabia.

"today is the 20th of march."

kalim perked, whistling, "ooh, it's nearing y/n's birthday!" now that, caught everyone's attention.

"it's on the 22nd, if i recall." ashengrotto confirmed, eyes narrowing as if he was in deep thought. "yep! i saw cater's post on magicam earlier– seems like they're planning to hold a birthday party on somewhere fancy." kalim exclaimed, fishing his phone out of his pocket to show everyone a screenshot of diamond's post.

it was a photo of you wearing a crown and holding a birthday cake while blowing the candle. on the caption, it read:

@l/n_y/n Advanced HBD to u Bestie☆!! I'm sorry I can't come to ur party on the 22nd TT Enjoy ur party and don't forget to send me picx<33
#AdvancedHBDGift #4Lyfer #Everyoneisinvited #Party@CasaFelice!! #HBDtomyBestie

after reading the caption with their eyes, a short silence followed before everyone started packing their things. "please excuse me, i have important business matters to attend to." ashengrotto was the first one to leave. his pace was normal, but his eyes had an impatient glint.

"aah yes, i believe it's time for me to check if ace and deuce completed their tasks in painting the flamingos pink." rosehearts stood, clearing his throat. he reasoned that he left for housewarden work but the nervous aura around him and the way he walked so stiffly suggested otherwise.

"no use staying here, then. i shall get back to the dorm as well." schoenheit gave kalim a nod before promptly leaving the meeting room. but instead of turning right where you can find the hall of mirrors, kalim noticed that schoenheit turned left.

"??? that's weird." kalim blinked, before turning back to–

"they're gone!" kalim gasped. malleus and kingscholar was nowhere to be found! kalim leaned unto the table to take a peek at the tablet but he was met with a black screen. even shroud has virtually left.

kalim only blinked, flabbergasted. why was everyone in a hurry today?

you heaved a sigh, plumping over your seat. "hey, what's gotten you so bothered?" cater asked as you only mustered a small smile. "nothing, it's just– i'm worried. i don't know when– or if i'll even have the chance to give out these invitations..." you gestured to the invitations sprawled all over your desk. "woah! these are so cute! can i post it on magicam?" cater asked as you smiled in approval.

"aah right, thank you for yesterday, cate. i really appreciate it." you gave your friend a genuine smile. cater only giggled, busy finding a good angle to take pictures. "no biggie! i wanted to make it up to you anyway since i can't come to your party."

that's right. your "bestie" (or so cater proclaims) can't come with you to celebrate your birthday. apparently his help is needed back at home which is why he was granted a special leave at school for two days by the headmage. his leave is scheduled the morning of your birthday, and he is expected to return at school in the morning of the 24th.

"who are these invitations for, by the way? they are oddly... more special than the invitations trey and the others received." cater pointed out the card laying on top of the others.