animal.

WARNING: Sexual content

Delilah wasn't doing to well by the time her shift had ended in the early morning. She had tried calling Derek multiple times but she had only reached his voicemail. 

She plastered a reassuring smile onto her face as she said goodbye to Melissa after she clocked out. She didn't want the woman to know she was barely keeping it together. 

The parking lot was still dark when she stepped outside and Delilah moved with an alertness to her car. Looking over her shoulder, she was afraid someone would jump out at any point and her eyes kept shifting to the shadowed areas in the lot. Fumbling with her keys, she unlocked her car door and quickly moved into the driver seat. With the door now locked behind her she rested her head against the steering wheel and blew out a shaky breath.

She was not okay and felt the rising constriction of a panic attack moving through her chest. She gasped for breath and felt tears slipping down her face. Grabbing fist fulls of hair, she rocked back and forth in her seat. 

Kate wanted Derek and thought of any harm befalling him was sending her into a tail spin. And it didn't help that he was not answering his fucking phone.

Slamming her head back onto the seat, she jumped when a light tapping started on her window, followed by the pulling on her door handle.

Looking through the glass, she was terrified at what she might see but was thankfully greeted by familiar soft green eyes. Moving her shaking fingers to the lock, she flipped it to the unlocked position and Derek quickly pulled the door open.

"Delilah, hey, what's happened?" He soothed. 

Derek crouched down next to her open car door, ensuring he was unseen in the dimly lite parking lot. He reached in to steady her shaking hands and to stop her head from hitting the back of her seat. Her breathing was erratic and heart beat was currently running much too high.

Delilah couldn't answer him as she tried to take big gulps of air into her lungs.

Running his hands softly across her face he softly shushed her and listened as her heart calmed slightly at his touch.

"Delilah, move over, I'm going to drive home." he mumbled into the side of head as he helped her manoeuvre over to the passenger seat. With her seat belt in place, Derek adjusted the drivers seat and closed the door behind him.

Delilah had her eyes shut tight as she gripped the sides of the passenger seat and focussed on her breathing. 

"Sweetheart, look at me." He called to her as he turned the car on. Delilah looked over at him with watery, panicked eyes. "Hold my hand and count my heart beats." 

Derek reached his hand out for Delilah to take. He felt her small hands wrap around his and feel for his pulse point. With Derek's warm hand in her lap she mentally counted the amount of times he felt his heart beat. Her eyes were closed and she could feel her breathing begin to even out.

When she opened her eyes again they were in front of her house and Derek was gently stroking the side of her face. Untangling their entwined hands, Derek exited the car and quickly moved to Delilah's door. The separation had tears pool in her eyes as she desperately watched him move to collect her from the car. 

Delilah fell into Derek's arms and she buried her head into his neck. 

Derek could feel her tears beginning to run again and cursed himself for his girl's distress. Picking her up from her seat, he securely wrapped his arms around her legs and easily walked the two into the house.