sunset.

Delilah breathed heavily into the oxygen mask the paramedics had placed against her mouth. Her lungs burned slightly from the smoke and she greedily tried to inhale as much oxygen as her lungs could allow.

An anonymous car on the road had alerted the fire department that they had spotted smoke billowing over the tree tops beside the preserve. They almost missed it as the sky was only beginning to lighten about an hour ago.

She wasn't entirely sure when the fire trucks had arrived but she was qucikyl tended to after being found sitting under a tree on the other side of the property. They suspected she had gotten herself out but Delilah knew that was highly unlikely.

She remembered the smoke was thick as the fire spread through the living room. She lost Matt as they both scrambled to get away from the flames and according to the firefighters she was the only one on the property. She had asked for them to check again but their search came back negative. They did note that her back door was wide open and flapping in the breeze, allowing the smoke to escape into the early morning air. 

After Matt's display earlier that evening, Delilah doubted he would have been the one to pull her out. He must have slipped out the back, leaving her to fend for herself against the flames.

She took another deep breath and watched as everyone worked around her. The fire was now out and there was a giant gapping hole in the roof that stood over the living room and top bedroom.

"There could be major structural damage, I don't think it will habitable, not until an inspection is completed," she over heard one of the firemen say as they walked by.

The words were like a twist in her gut as she watched the smoke continue to rise and twist away.

"Has anyone seen the sheriff? He might want to have a team look at this, it could be arson. And if Miss Vine was in the house when it happened, attempted murder." Another fireman muttered.

Delilah had a sneaking suspicion the entire police force was probably still at the station trying to make heads or tails of what happened the night before. She hoped they at least let Noah know there were no casualties. 

The fire trucks packed up and began to slowly drive back down the driveway. They had done their work and now needed to prepare for their next call.

The paramedic who had looked after Delilah slowly removed the mask from her mouth. "Are you sure you don't want us to take you to the hospital? You inhaled a fair bit of smoke."

Delilah shook her head no to decline their offer. She wanted to stay here and wait for everyone to come home.

The paramedic nodded and helped Delilah stand from the back of the ambulance. "You'll come in at the first sign of trouble, right? The Sheriff should be along any minute to take your statement. Between you and me this doesn't look like your run of the mill accidental house fire."

Delilah ignored the paramedic's statement.  Turning her attention to the front of the house she observed the living room window void of all glass and a few arrows pierced into its frame. The entire surface was darkened with both smoke and flame. She knew it wasn't an accident, anyone could see that.

"Is anyone coming for you?" The paramedic asked kindly. 

Delilah tried to smile as she looked off into the tree line. 

"Soon."

Nodding, the paramedic picked up their medical bag and waved goodbye as they entered the cab of the ambulance. She watched as the rest of the vehicles followed after the fire truck.

She was alone now at Willow residence. Her first home that felt like what it was, a home.

Delilah ran her hands down the charred front steps of the porch and sighed as her hands came back covered in a black soot. The boards Derek had worked so hard to replace had no chance against the quickly spreading fire.