darling, you already know.

"Yeah, she's here... uhm she's not okay... no don't... I'll let you know when you can... and, Issac just stay with Mel, okay?"

Derek kept the phone conversation brief as he didn't want to leave Delilah alone for too long. By the time he had carefully removed her remaining clothes, he had come to realize how bad the damage to her really was. The thorned vines he had seen at the base of Nemeton curled and coiled against the entirety of her skin in snarls that snapped at his fingers when he moved to take them away. She cried out in agony as he attempted to extract each thorn. Derek ground his jaw tightly together in order to keep quiet and instead focusing on removing any threat that might continue to mutilate her flesh.

The water in the shower had grown cold when he pulled out the last bit of plant matter and threw it across the wet, tiled floor. Delilah made no effort to move from his arms as he gently combed back her hair from her exhausted face and tried to wash away as much blood as he could reach.

She had long since past the point of tears as the wet cloth gently passed over her legs, mindful of the deep gouges and moved its away across the rest of her body. 

She clung to him like he was her last life line. 

Every time he moved forward to reach for the soap, her body would follow him. Every time he covered her face to ensure the water didn't flood into her eyes, she didn't blink until he whispered that it was okay for her to close them. And every time he kissed that spot on her neck that had the last deeply embedded vine tightly wound around it, she didn't make a noise other than a small whimper as he subtly pulled as much pain as he could from her body through his lips.

She didn't complain as he dried them off together as carefully as he could while keeping her clutched tightly in his arms. He wouldn't dare put her down, not with her claws still hooked into him. She was probably terrified he would put her down and she would be dragged away, never to be seen again

He slowly carried her to the closest in his secure grip and carefully selected a few clean items for them to wear. In the end, he pulled out one of his softest over shirts shirts and two sets of his sweats. It wasn't much but he didn't want to overwhelm her sensitive skin still covered in marks and cuts.

He sighed as he placed a light kiss to her shoulder.Her skin no longer gave off the persistent chill it had earlier in fact it now gave off a pleasant warmth.

He was afraid of disturbing that semblance of normality or aggravate her still open wounds and placed the clothes on the end of the bed where it would be easy enough to grab if she requested.

After pulling back the blankets, he carefully laid her down in the middle of the bed. Delilah panicked for a moment as she felt his arms start to leave before he mumbled reassuring words into her ear. 

Derek wouldn't be going anywhere.

He worked to ensure she was comfortable as he slowly adjusted her position, but frowned when he realized her tear fogged eyes kept fixed on the door of the bedroom. He mumbled into her wet hair and asked if she would like for him to lock it. Her response was a hesitant nod, before he did as she requested.

Derek returned and lifted the edge of the blankets, ensuring Delilah was tucked in tightly before he slipped into the bed between herself herself and the door. His arms immediately secured their place lightly around her waist and she buried her head into his chest while he curled protectively around her.

He hadn't realized until now that she was constantly searching out the beat of his heart. It humbled him as he was only even intent on doing the same.

Gently his fingers caressed the skin on the small of her back and he waited for her breath to even out as it continued to come out in small puffs against his neck.