Chapter 15 Storm part 2 ; Lifeless

Third person's pov

Elijah was frozen in his place, too shocked to realize that Meera has run outside in the storm. Unbeknownst to him, his heart ached to hear her devastating voice, her words stuck to him. I hate you, your presence disgusts me. They were ringing in his ears repeatedly. He didn't think ever that such meaningless words he was never bothered with will hurt him so much that he couldn't figure out how to deal with them. She hated him, he knew that and was fine with it. Really. But not now. It shook him, pained him. She is slowly making her way into his life. And anything in his life that matters to him holds his heart. He cherishes them. And he was coming in terms of accepting her more than as his possession. But today after hearing the distaste towards him in her voice, he was wrong to think that he was still in process. No. He has long gone over that step. His heart was beating erratically, his short breaths were proof enough of her effect on him. She has already become more than a possession to him. She matters to him. And right now he didn't care about anything else but her taking her words back. He never wants her to say that to him. He hates it now. She is his for this life and he wants to live with her. She has to like him. He decided. He will do anything to make it happen.

Deep in thought, Elijah didn't notice Scott approaching him in alarm. When his panicking voice went in his ear, he came out of his shock to get another bigger shock that shook him yet again,

"Sir! ma'am jumped in the ocean!"

With widened and alarmed eyes he snapped his head towards the direction she went in the ocean. The rain started falling heavily that he couldn't see clearly. He squinted his eyes while walking slowly out against the harsh rainy wind. With a hand covering his squinted eyes, he saw her figure floating along the high tides. Only her hands were visible. For the first time in his life, he was afraid to the core. She can die today. And its probability was very high. His heart dropped into the bottomless pit of dread. His moments with her until now flashed before his eyes continuously. He couldn't breathe, not because of the storm but because he felt as if he was losing the most important thing in his life. He can't name it but he knew he can't lose her. She has to live with him. Not die like this. She has yet to see his world.

Scott beside him screamed over the roar of wind and rain at him,

"Sir, we need to save ma'am right now or she will die!"

In an instant Elijah held him by his collar, eyes burning with rage, jaw clenched hard, he gritted out,

"She will not die, not now or ever. I won't let her. Do you understand?"

Meekly in fear, Scott nodded his head. Looking right into his eyes, Elijah spoke up, commanding seriously,

"Bring out the lifeboat and get the medical team ready, get your wife to call the other men for rescue and prepare all the women to come in the mansion for anything needed for a warm breathing environment, do it now"

With a jerk, Elijah left him racing toward Meera in the storm. She was not there when he last saw her. Feeling his heartbeat in overdrive, he first calmed himself and thought clearly. Drenching in rain, he ran towards the wave. Searching for her, he scanned everywhere but she was not seen. Taking a deep breath he ignored the creeping fear. Gulping a huge amount of air, he jumped opposite in the direction of the wave where he last saw her. Diving into the dark water, he saw nothing but darkness and almost black, searching for her was fruitless. He has lost her. The waves were fast and ruthless. He himself can drown if he went any deeper than he already has. He swam in every direction possible but couldn't find her. He felt his breath short and drowned almost because of the force of the current wave above him. He felt disheartened and disappointed. He can't lose against fate. He wrote his own. And he definitely will not lose her and let her die in a sea storm.

The dire circumstances currently were against him. However hard he tried he couldn't find her. In the distance, he saw his men with rescue boats ready to dive into the sea but were hesitating to see the wrecking life-threatening storm. He couldn't care about them right now. He has to find her with or without them. Taking another deep breath he went inside the water just when another wave crashed making him flow along with it in a totally different direction deeper in the water far away from the shore. Struggling inside the water he tried his best to stay put but who was he against the strong natural waves? He frantically tried to stable himself and see in the water. He saw something shining in the deeper water. Swimming towards it, the water got deeper and darker that it was almost invisible. He still went. He caught the thing against another wave hitting above him. He felt a finger. With hope, he slid his hand down and grabbed the wrist. Relief flooded his body. He can't miss her touch. It was her. He found her. Immediately he pulled her body to his and swam upwards diagonally towards the shore. Waves hit him several times and all the time he lost his breath. But he was trained to hold his breath longer. Mustering all his strength he swam upwards so that his hand was above the water. He made a symbol of rescue to signal his men.

Fortunately, his men understood him and immediately got into action. Taking the boat toward their almost-drowned boss, they stopped. Two men wearing lifesaver jackets wrapped ropes around their waists and jumped inside the water. Swimming towards Elijah and Meera tucked to his chest like she was his anchor, the two men grabbed them and pulled the rope signaling the men in the boat to pull them up. Doing so the four of them came out of the water and were in the boat securely. In the heavy rain, the boat sailed to the shore. Elijah held Meera in his arms unmoving and not breathing. His heart was erratic. He didn't want to believe that she was dead. No, he performed CPR after CPR but nothing, she lay lifeless.

Upon reaching the shore, everyone jumped out, helping Elijah get off. Carrying Meera bridal style he dashed to the mansion. At the threshold, Scott and all the five women stood in line waiting with towels and warm water. Immediately he ordered them to cover her, shouting for immediate medical attention. The emergency expert medical care unit comprising three women jumped into action. They laid Meera on the large couch in the living room which was covered with various medical equipment.  Several CPR, oxygen pipes, chest push, and warm shock later, Meera showed no response. Elijah almost lost it and lashed out at them,

"What are you doing? Save her!!"

"She has to stay alive or you all will be dead"

The head of the team turned to him saying,

"Calm down sir, we are doing our best. Her condition is very critical. Her lungs and windpipe are filled completely with water, her skin has turned blue due to oxygen deficiency, the body is ice cold. Her chances of survival are very slim"

Elijah stalked toward her threatening in low voice,

"I don't want your best, I want her alive! Do fucking whatever you can to save her and God forbid if you fail even your God couldn't save you from me"

Gulping she nodded and turned back to do the job. Elijah saw Meera laying lifeless. He felt his hands shaking. He couldn't see her like that. He can either get her or lose her. But he can see the latter happening, doing nothing and standing at the side seeing life slipping from her body helplessly.