Chapter 28 Need to know

Third person's pov

Elijah bolted inside his bedroom. Marching to and fro in tensed exasperation, he marveled over the disaster at the party. As if remembering, he stilled. Fetching out his phone from his pant pocket, he called a number.

"Sir"

came the cryptic, emotionless voice of John over the phone who answered on the second ring. John knew why his powerful boss was calling him. Sitting in the security control room of his boss's parent's mansion, he has seen what has transpired there. To say he wished it to not happen as knowing the past his boss has gone through.

"I want Angelina in the basement"

ordered Elijah in a glacial voice, John gulped on the other end feeling the hatred and rage in his voice that promised inevitable doomed hell.

"On it, Sir"

said John after a pause. Hanging up the phone Elijah threw it on the bed with a start. Running his hands through his hair, he took off his suit blazer letting it fall on the floor unceremoniously. Pulling the tie hard around his neck, he unclasped it and wrapped it around his palms, and tugged hard. The force he was applying had his muscles straining against his white dress shirt, and his biceps and triceps bulging. Eventually, the tie broke into two parts. Elijah was breathing hard, his face contorted into disdain, facial muscles clenched.

He didn't know how to contain his spiraling emotions. He was always in control. Unfortunately not at this moment. Punching his hands in thin air, he turned around. Stormy green eyes collided with pitch-black ones. Several emotions passed and hit him as a truck ran over him. The most prominent was fear. Fear of losing his doe, of her leaving him, hating him. Looking at her face in the picture, he reminisced over his painful past, his doe's hatred-filled face, judgemental black eyes staring at him. All of it hurt him immensely leading his knees to buckle and eventually he fell on his knees.

In the darkroom with the only light coming from the moon, Elijah wistfully watched Meera's photo in his room. He was running all possibilities of his doe reacting to his past which he badly wanted to remove. Why did it happen to him? He was so happy these past few days with his doe, then why all of sudden it was snatched away from him? Doesn't he deserve to be happy for once with the one he loves? Why? Why? Why? Just why? He knows what he does and did to people is unconventional and evil but it's the way he has become over the years of agony. He has to be in control, the power that will make him survive without a hitch and pain. And like a fresh breath in his suffocating life, came Meera filling his lungs and heart with happiness. And he desperately and painfully needed Meera to stay with him to keep him sane. And whatever he has to do to keep her to him, he would do it in a heartbeat, even if she hates him for it. He can bear it but not any distance from her. He loves her. Yes! He does, madly. Along the way, he fell hard for her unknowingly but inevitably. His doe is quirky, talented, and beautiful, there's nothing to not love. She is amazing and all his. Absolutely his.

He didn't plan to confess his love for his doe suddenly in front of everybody in outrage. He doesn't regret it though. Instead, he is glad he did. His doe must know how he feels for her. Fortunately, it happened before Evelyn announced his dreadful past, the worst part of it to his doe. He doesn't blame Evelyn, she is naive and hurt and blabbered the truth. Because of him, his sister had to suffer too.

Sitting on the floor in the darkness, Elijah was deep in thought, eyes dark, body tensed. Meera strolled angrily inside their bedroom to get answers from Elijah. She was fed up with not knowing anything, nobody was telling her a thing. Evelyn only told her plan nothing of the shared sibling's past. On top of that, Eros had the nerve to ask her to take care of Elijah. Seriously! Has he gone nuts? After knowing what Elijah has done in his past, how can Eros expect it from her? Shaking her head in exasperation, Meera halted on her way, the room was pitch black except for the light coming from the floor-to-ceiling window of the balcony. She saw a figure perched against the bed through her squinted eyes, Elijah was camouflaging himself almost in the dark. Switching on the lights, she took in the room. Her eyes fell on the thrown phone, suit blazer, and shattered tie.

Elijah didn't even blink his eyes when light filled the room. Meera clenched her jaw and shouted her anger crossing the room,

'Elijah!"

Startled out of his thoughts, Elijah jerked slightly. Turning his eyes towards the door, he saw his doe standing there glaring at him. Abruptly shuffling to his feet, Elijah ran to Meera, engulfing her in a tight hug, confessing in a small voice,

"I thought you wouldn't come back to me"

Burying his nose in her neck, he inhaled her soothing lavender scent which provided him tranquility and his shoulders sagged in relief. It was short-lived though. Pushing him away, Meera yelled,

"Don't touch me! You disgust and revoke me!"

"Doe--"

"No! Shut up, just shut up! You still have the audacity to talk to me, how shameless can you be!"

Meera rambled in anger not giving Elijah a chance to speak. Her anger was blinding her to see the hurt and pain crossing Elijah's face, his eyes pleading with her for one chance to listen.

"How dare you say you love me! I hate it! The thought of a disgusting vile killer loving me makes me sick to my bones!"

"I should have known when you threw me in the pool, you seriously intended to kill me just as you killed your child"

"ENOUGH!"

Elijah's voice boomed in the room silencing Meera momentarily who jumped in fright blinking up at him in shock. His eyes were blazing red. He was silently listening to her, though everything was piercing his heart she overstepped when she mocked him using his deceased child and the dreadful pool incident. He can take anything but that. Seething in rage, Elijah gritted out through his teeth,

"How dare you Meera!"

He called her Meera for the first time and she didn't like it a bit. It shook her to the core. And realization dawned on her that she has crossed the line and made him angry like never before.

"You know nothing about my past, yet here you are calling me a killer"

his voice is menacing and low sending a chill down her spine. She shivered looking at him, his eyes has turned dark with boiling rage. Gulping, she dared a chance,

"Tell me then, I want to know about your past"

"Do you now?"

he spat at her. Nodding, she courageously took a step towards him who regarded her cautiously, saying in a soft voice,

"Please, Eli, I need to discern"