Chapter 16 Confessions

Third person's pov

Elijah was pacing in front of the couch where Meera was being operated. He couldn't understand how from arguing to jumping in the storm happened. One moment he ran downstairs to save her from the 'ghost' to literally save her in the storm. He was frantically disturbed. Frowning, he would look at her unmoving figure after every ten seconds. In his mind, it was to check that she was still here and not in the storm. But in his heart, the hope of her waking up to life would make him look. Again and again. Restlessness was foreign to him, until now. He just wanted her to be conscious and live again. In this moment where he can lose her any second, realization dawned on him. How important she is to him. How much he wants to spend his time with her. How much he wants to cherish her. How much he craves her. His needs were beyond imaginable. She was an anchor to his lifeboat. And without it, he was sailing in the vast ocean of life without any direction.

Elijah jerked in his place hearing frantic, continuous coughing. Snapping his head to Meera coughing haphazardly, he ran to her and sat on his knees beside her. Holding her head gently between his palms, he kissed her forehead for seconds. Pulling back, he looks right into her confused eyes. She is alive. Smiling, he caresses her cheeks so gently as if he were afraid she will disappear any second. Joining their foreheads, he says softly to her,

"You are alive, doe, you're alive"

Smiling, he kissed her lips. Again he spoke to her expressing himself,

"I was afraid that you would never wake up or come back to me"

Kissing her cheeks, he tells her in vulnerability that he never showed anyone before,

"I don't want to lose you, ever. I don't want to live in a moment as if now where you are a second away from dying. My doe, you matter to me more than I ever could express. Don't ever do anything like that, never ever"

With that, he hugs her to his chest. Securing her in his arms. Assuring himself that she was in his arms, breathing. He kissed the top of her head. He gestured for his men to leave. The head of the medical unit, says before leaving,

"Sir, please make sure she rests and eats properly. Make sure she takes deep breathing exercises if she feels difficulty in breathing. Otherwise, she is fine"

Nodding his head Elijah dismissed her and everyone. Left alone, Elijah was still hugging her, both drenched.

Meera was confused when she woke up. She was in a coughing fit, water was coming out of her mouth, nostrils, and ears, she was completely wet in water and her body ached, badly. And when she saw Elijah, everything crashed back on her. How he has lied to her, and in her hurt and pain, she ran out in the storm. With her blurry vision, she didn't realize where she took off to get away from his deceiving self. And just when her vision cleared a high tide wave crashed on her sweeping her away with it. She never intended to drown herself in the storm. She didn't deserve that. Mainly he was not so strong and mighty because of whom she would give up her life. No. Never.

She can feel her whole windpipe and lungs aching with every breath. Elijah was not making it any easier either by hugging her suddenly and confessing out of the blue. To be honest, she was not ready for it. She almost believed she was hearing things and her ears were still buzzing with ice-cold water. But, no his sincere voice was as clear as a day. His honest eyes looking at her said a thousand words that he couldn't say. His soft touch and voice showed his concern. Out of all, his vulnerability did it. A powerful, dominant, commanding man like him who never bows or accepts defeat cracked in pain before her, told her she was important to him. She saw in his eyes that she matters to him.

Hesitating, Meera accepted the warmth he provided and his empathetic words. Cracking a smile despite all the happening, she slowly hugged him back.

Elijah was shocked when he felt her hands wrapping around his torso. She hugged him. He thought. Even after everything, she accepted him. Pulling back, he gazed into her eyes questioningly trying to understand her motive. She nodded her head. Still, he was doubtful. He couldn't believe it. She was a literal angel to accept him.