Chapter 21 Evelyn

Third person's pov

[A/N- song suggestion - louder than bombs by BTS]

Meera came out in the hallway, wiping her tears from her eyes and face. Her mind was filled with the fight or argument whatever it was called. I was almost busted there. She thought. She shook her head thinking that she can't back down now after all she has done. Scoffing internally, she thought about Elijah who is so clever that he didn't believe her act. Of course, who she was kidding? He is smart enough to not believe her but feelings make you weak and that's what she is taking advantage of. Elijah is not the only one who can play. She can so very well play, no matter what happens. And thanks to him for giving her an opening. Showing his vulnerability, and his feelings for her. She laughed in her head. Really, he likes her? She didn't see that coming. But who was she to complain it was a perfect opportunity to use to complete her ultimate goal and at the same time teach him how it feels to be snatched off the things you love, how bad it hurts. He messed with the wrong girl.

"If I loved you as my brother does, I would have believed your act as well with that innocent face of yours"

Stopping in horror and shock on her way,
Meera stood frozen hearing the voice speak. Seeing the person standing two feet away from their bedroom door was unexpected and she doubted heard everything. And top of all it was as if the person read her mind and caught her red-handed. She should have been careful, she is in the lion's den after all.

"But I don't"

said Evelyn, standing straight from her leaned position against the wall beside the table decorated with a beautiful blue vase. Meera stared carefully at Evelyn coming towards her with a smirk decorating her beautiful face. She just left Elijah after barely keeping her act and now Evelyn is suspecting her. Can she get a break? The smugness on Evelyn's face was not enough proof of her slipping in her plan as her racing heart in nervous fear was. Evelyn stood in front of her, a few inches taller, saying looking at her eyes,

"Now I can either show my stupid brother in love that 'his doe' is faking it all or--"

she paused. The tension hung in the air around them. Meera was left agape and conflicted about what was happening right now. What was Evelyn intuiting? She saw Evelyn smirking knowingly at her. She thought she hasn't admitted anything at all, she can still escape this. With that, she spoke to her,

"What are you saying? Are you all out of your mind? Can't you just leave me alone?"

"Now, now. No need to get worked up"

teased Evelyn patting her shoulder twice. Meera was surprised to see the sweet foolish, childish girl from just twenty minutes before acting all astute. Did this run in this family, being all wicked, she wondered. Gathering herself Meera continued her being clueless,

"I don't understand you, siblings, doubting my feelings. Please if you don't believe me just leave me the hell alone I am tired of all this"

Saying that Meera tried to sidestep her and leave. But holding her wrist, Evelyn stopped her announcing,

"Not so fast dear sister in law"

Before Meera could say a thing or protest, Evelyn tugged her along with her. Upon reaching a room that looked overly teenaged girly, Meera confirmed it must be Evelyn's room. Look at the irony, the girl who lived here seemed to be just the opposite of it. She is deceiving just like her brother. What a family! Full of fake pretentious people. Meera looked around the pink-themed room, full of teddy bears and soft white curtains, fluffy rug and blanket, a beautiful balcony decorated with white furniture, the king-sized bed covered with pastel pink sheets, the walls covered with her pictures with family and her alone. It gave nothing away except innocence and screamed childish. Meera concluded it was her disguise, pretending to be childish and wearing the mask of an oblivious girl behind which lived an atrocious girl. She got fooled too. She would have never doubted Evelyn if not she saw her real face. Now the question was what she wanted from Meera.

"Done checking my room out? "

asked Evelyn with arms crossed across her chest, all her weight resting on her right leg and left angled elegantly standing two feet from in front of her. Meera shifted her eyes from the picture comprising of a teenage Elijah with a much younger Evelyn to Evelyn herself piercing her with a sharp gaze. Roaming her eyes down from Evelyn's raised brows to her brown curly bob cut hairs to her sheer black dress to her black heel cladded feet. Meera completely looked at her. She tried to understand how good can she be at hiding her real self.

"Done checking me out too?"

asked Evelyn uncrossing her hands and standing straight. Meera met her eyes head-on now. She didn't know what to do or feel about Evelyn as not knowing her was already difficult for her to fool this girl. From the wedding to now Evelyn has fooled her. She even thought if her family knows about her two faces.

"Let's cut to the chase"

says Evelyn starting to circle Meera.

"Meera Goenka, you can fool my brother who has become stupid in your love but not me, I know you are pretending"

tells Evelyn to Meera who is watching her silently.

"I don't know what you are saying. I was honest with my feelings"

Meera says head looking at Evelyn's eyes who counters,

"Oh really? I don't think so. So you can stop being clueless"

"Uh, uh, uh Meera Goenka I know everything my dear brother Eli did to you, everything"

spoke Evelyn leaning into Meera and whispering the last word in her ear when Meera tried to speak but she shushed her. Turning her head to Evelyn, Meera tries to find any doubt or hesitance but except confidence and truth, she saw nothing. She now knows there's no gain in pretending in front of her. But Evelyn can tell Elijah which ultimately will fail her plan and all her hard work until now. So she kept quiet.

"So billion dollars question is why. Why are you doing it?"

"Isn't it obvious, huh?"

questions back Meera to Evelyn asking her. Smiling innocently at Meera Evelyn rests her chin on her shoulder looking at Meera through her lashes. She looks absolutely evil, thought Meera. Evelyn mocks her,

"Revenge? Nahh! That's s not it"

Meera silently looks at Evelyn who one after the other is opening all her cards right. She doesn't know how to act now. She is starting to get afraid and nervous about Evelyn. Meera has to think carefully, her every action has to be done correctly. Staring at Evelyn, she asks her neither agreeing nor denying,

"What do you want?"

"That's what I wanted to hear sister-in-law!"

chirps Evelyn bouncing on her feet, clapping her hands, and backing away from Meera smiling goofily. Meera can't believe her eyes, this eighteen-year-old girl is so wickedly evil, changing her mood in seconds. She has to be careful of her.

"I will help you"

Evelyn announces smiling happily. Meera's eyes widen in surprise, definitely not anticipating that answer in place of a demand of stopping her plan. Gaping at Evelyn, she asks her,

"Why? Why would you do that?"

Cutting her question off, Evelyn affirms sobering her expression in seriousness,

"I. Will. Help. You"