Chapter 27 Backfired? Not Really

Third person's pov

Elijah blinked his eyes at Meera, trying to comprehend the situation, his painful past was colliding with his present and future. His doe is his present and future and he would be damn to get it sabotaged by the one person he despised the most. Deciding to ignore the question asked by his doe who looked confused and curious in his eyes, he turned to Angelina. His eyes were menacing, and voice brittle,

"Angelina, rest assured the hell awaits you now"

The hawk eyes caught the tremble running down Angelina's spine. He smirked. Once upon a time, he couldn't tolerate a scratch on her body but now he was dying to fill her body with bruises which won't be enough for the hurt she gave him. He can feel his doe's eyes fixed on the side of his face in question but right now was not the time to entertain her curiosity. No, he has to rid of the disgusting witch standing before him.

"Oh, Eli darling! Wouldn't you want to tell your wife who I am to you? Then not only hell, but I will also go anywhere with you"

Angelina stated feigning courage when in reality she was afraid of seeing her looming doom in his wrathful eyes. While planning they did know it would be difficult to go through Elijah but still, it was terrifying to face him. She can only pray for their plan to work accordingly which will happen only when she will press on his weak nerve and unfortunately for her it is Meera. Giving a side-eye to Meera, smiling smugly Angelina stared at her meaningfully.

Elijah saw Angelina smirking at his doe. He didn't like it. His doe is pure, and a hag-like Angelina doesn't deserve to see her. Standing in front of Meera, Elijah glared fire at Angelina and spat,

"She doesn't need to know a deranged like you!"

Seeing Elijah's hateful eyes, Angelina's heart tugged sadly. Fear gripped it. Their plan was not working right. She saw Meera opening her mouth.

"Eli, who is she? Tell me. She said she's your ex-girlfriend"

Elijah kept his eyes on Angelina daring her to say another spiteful word. Hearing the uncertainty in his doe's voice, Elijah knew he has to tell her about the darkest phase of his life. But he didn't want to recall it. And associate something so painfully evil with his angelic doe. Raising his hand in a silencing manner when his doe again wanted to ask him, he quit her announcing,

"Eli--"

"Enough!"

His voice boomed, and the whole hall turned in silence. It was commanding and menacing. Angelina shivered to be the recipient of it. She blinked her eyes to keep the brimming fearful tears at bay. Their plan was failing altogether.

"I have had enough of your nonsense! After what I did to you, the nerve you have to show up here. It's hilarious. Did you think I would let you ruin the beauty I have? Hear me out clearly I never felt anything remotely closer to you than what I feel for my doe. And now I can tell it was not love, just an infatuation. I love my doe and I won't let anything and anyone get between my doe and me. Count your seconds Angelina I will ruin you for even glancing at my doe"

Growled Elijah. His eyes spitting fire, voice thundering in the silent hall. Tears spilled from Angelina's eyes unable to keep them, the fear was overwhelming. She knew Elijah would do just that. She was foolish to think she can defeat him.

Meera froze hearing Elijah professing his love for her in front of the world declaring it to everyone present at the party. Her heart fluttered involuntarily and skipped in happiness, belly full of butterflies. A warmth filled her chest. She was feeling happy to know that unknowingly. A small smile graced her lips and she forgot everything for those seconds, her plan, pain, and feelings. Only remained happiness.

Evelyn was shocked to listen to her brother confess his love. She didn't expect that. Sure she knew Meera was important to him but this. It was unexpected. To top it their plan backfired. Glancing at Meera she saw a happy smile on her face. Huh? Has she gone mad, Evelyn thought. Shaking her head, only she can save them now. Jumping into action, Evelyn shouted at Angelina,

"Who invited you to my party?"

Angelina blinked at Evelyn in surprise. It was not part of the plan. Was there a plan anymore, Angelina wondered.

"Didn't you have enough of breaking my brother's heart that you came to ruin my party?"

continued Evelyn standing beside Elijah who was now gaping at her. Taking advantage of it, she spoke again,

"You left him! You made him kill his baby! You evil witch, you broke my heart too!"

"Evelyn!"

shrieked Synthia in horror, too shocked to say more. The rest of the people in the hall mirrored her expression of utter shock. Elijah stilled in his position, body tensed. The thing he didn't want his doe to know was out in the open. He feared she may leave him, hate him.

Meera's eyes widened and her heart skipped a beat in surprise. This news was jaw-droppingly bad. She doesn't know what to make of it. She knew Elijah was bad, evil, a Satan but this? It was downright cruel to kill his child. Newfound hate bubbled in her veins for him. She felt her resolve getting stronger to get away from this disgusting man.

"Eli, E-E-Eli!"

stuttered Evelyn eyes wide with horror. She was faking it. Although she deliberately said that she has to feign innocence. Clasping Elijah's bicep with shaky hands, she muttered,

"I am sorry, Eli! I didn't mean to say it. I just, I just, I was way over myself. I am sorry. I couldn't control my emotions and I spiraled. Please forgive me"

She sobbed a little to make her apology more sincere. Elijah remained stony and silent not even looking down at Evelyn. Turning then to Meera Evelyn hugged her and sobbed,

"Please don't hate my brother, sister-in-law! It was not his fault that he killed his baby. Please forgive me to tell you that. I know Eli was not going to tell you about this. Please don't mind it and love my brother"

Even to her own ears, it felt ridiculous. Evelyn knew her work was done here. Now it was Meeta's turn. She felt proud of herself to save themselves from her brother's wrath and also the plan. She whispered in Meera's ears,

"Now continue our plan"

and pulled back from the embrace, sobbing. Meera blinked her eyes as if clearing the haze from them that Elijah's confession formed. Moments ago his confession caused fluttering in her heart but now it left her bitter to think a disgusting man loves her. A baby killer. Her eyes hardened. Swallowing, she moisturized her dry throat, and asked,

"Is it true? Did you really?"

She can't even say the words.

Her words pierced his heart. Clenching his fists he looked at his doe's eyes filled with hatred. It saddened and hurt him tenfold. This is what he feared. She just started accepting him and now it was ruined. He can't bear it. Not answering her, he marched out of the great hall, figure tensed. Everybody silently parted ways for him, too afraid to provoke him unnecessarily. Everyone including Meera stared at his retreating figure going out of the hall. His silence said it all. And Meera knew she was doing right, all her doubts cleared.