forty three

Ariana

"Zach's back?" Chelsea asks in a gasp but I shake my head and her shoulders slump.

"No, but we thought he was." I say. "He texted Ricky - said he wanted to meet us somewhere to talk. Ricky and I agreed but we also made a plan. We wanted to trick Zach into coming back here because we had a strong feeling he wouldn't oblige that easily. But seems like Zach had a different plan."

"So what actually happened when you went inside?" Ricky asks me.

"There were two guys upstairs and they wanted money from me. Money Zach obviously owed them. Zach had originally planned to meet up with these guys but then he changed his mind and told him he'd send someone. He had changed his mind four days before he contacted us, telling us to meet him there. I'm pretty sure he sent us there to take the fall for the money he owed them."

"How much?" Harry asks me.

"20 grand." I say and everyone's eyes widen.

"Wait a second," Ricky says as he sits forward. "Why the hell would he need to borrow £20,000?"

"That's what I asked and they told me they got him hooked up with all sorts of stuff. Different types of guns, bombs. And no, before you all ask, I have no idea what he needed or wanted them for. I was just as confused as you."

"So then what happened?" Chelsea asks me with an anxious look. The disappointment clear in her eyes makes me wish I never even started to tell this story to them. I know it's hurting her even more with each word, each thing making her think about Zach's actions even more.

"They got angry, thought I was just playing them, realised Zach had ripped them off. One of them had a gun and aimed for me but he missed. I reached for my gun but it was empty so I had to deal with them myself." I laugh a little at the memory. "I kicked one of the guys over, smashed a chair over the other's head."

Harry gives me a small smile as if he's proud of me. He reaches out and places his hand on top of mine. "Carry on."

"Well then he shot the bulb so I had to get out of there. I started running but then I slipped on the stairs and smashed my head and hurt my ankle. I grabbed hold of the banister, I didn't want to let go. Just wanted to sit there. But I heard them so I knew I had to get up. I ran out, tried to wedge the door shut and then ran into the woods in the pouring rain." I say. "I found the car but it was empty so I knew Ricky had gone looking for me. We finally found each other and we got in that car and drove off, nearly running over one of the guys in the process."

"I wish I did now." Ricky grunts. "God, what a mess."

"You scared the hell out of me, Ariana." Harry says with a huge look of concern and worry. "Both me and Chelsea."

"I know. We're sorry we didn't tell you. We knew you'd try stop us."

"Well I wish we did." Chelsea says and Harry nods in agreement, just as there's a knock at the door.

"Ugh, who's that." Ricky sighs, falling back onto the couch. Chelsea rolls her eyes and then gets up to go answer it. I look over at Harry again and give him a small smile while he squeezes my hand.

"Oh my god." I hear Chelsea gasp from behind me and all three of us turn around to see who was at the door.

It's Zach.

Harry

My blood boils as soon as I see him standing at the door. Why is he here? He has absolutely no reason to be after what he just put Ariana and Ricky through. I don't want him near her or near her and Chelsea's apartment. I slowly get to my feet, my hands already closing into fists.