fifty two

Ariana

When I wake up again, I hope that I'm finally at home, tucked up in my warm bed which smells like me and the scent of the washing powder I use, instead of the lingering smell of disinfectant. But after opening my eyes, I'm fairly disappointed when I realise I'm still in my hospital room, still attached to a dozen beeping machines that I have no idea what they're even for.

"Ah, you're awake then." The nurse, who is called Laura, says to me in a soft voice. She's looks like she's in her mid forties, maybe early fifties. She has light brown hair, tied up in a bun, which she has obviously dyed, but some of the grey is coming through. She has a warm smile and kind eyes, and throughout the time I've been here she's been so kind and caring to me. She's always telling me I need to get some more rest and stop worrying about things when she asks me what's on my mind. She reminds me of a grandma who gets mad at you if you haven't ate a proper meal all day. "How are you feeling, sugar?"

"My stomach hurts." I say with a yawn, snuggling into my pillow a little more.

"Well, it's going to." Laura laughs, rummaging around in the corner of the room. "You did have quite a big surgery."

"What are you doing?" I ask curiously.

"Just watering some of your flowers." Laura tells me. "You've had quite a lot of visitors, honey. You're very popular."

"Who brought those?" I ask, noticing the quite large bouquet of roses sat along with some of the other gifts. I've had some people from college drop by with flowers that were obviously reduced in the pound shop and chocolates I can't even eat yet, but I suppose it's the thought that counts. I don't remember seeing a huge bunch of roses among the collection though.

"Your parents, I believe."

"My parents?" I ask in shock. "I don't remember them being here..."

"You were half asleep and they weren't here long because they didn't want to keep you up. They said they'd come back and see you again when you're feeling a lot better." Laura tells me and I nod understandingly. "Your mother is a very, um......interesting character."

"That's one way of putting it." I say and Laura laughs again. I crane my neck to look at some of the other flowers and notice a bouquet with a note slid between the petals. "Can you hand me the note from those flowers?"

"Sure, love." Laura says, grabbing the piece of paper and handing it to me.

I pull myself up into a sitting position and open the card, reading the message that's been written inside:

Ari, I'm so sorry about what happened. I hope you don't blame me for it, I would never wish for anything bad to happen to you. If you don't want these flowers, we can go shove them up Rob's ass together. Even if you don't want to, maybe I will just for the both of us.
- Zach x

I laugh at the comment in the card before folding it up and then placing it on the table next to the bed.

"So where did my parents go?" I ask Laura. "Surely they didn't stay here all night?"

"No, your friend Chelsea went back with them to find a hotel to stay in." Laura tells me. "Then she went back to your apartment, I believe. She needed some sleep. Both of them do."

"Both of them?"

"That boy. What was his name again? Henry?" Laura says and my heart sinks.