Chapter 16

•Riot•

"Do you ever feel guilty?" I ask Luca, my gaze focused on swiping through the security cameras throughout my house.

It had become a habit since I'd allowed Polina freeroam and even though I knew she was currently shackled in the basement I still found myself checking them throughout the day.

"Feel guilty for what?" Luca questions.

I give a shrug, my finger tapping against my thigh. "Anything."

"Of course." He replies simply, as if the answer is obvious.

It doesn't feel so obvious to me. I've never experienced the emotional state until Polina and I can't say I'm enjoying the feeling of it currently. Of course I still find her absolutely stunning when she's at my mercy but keeping her shackled in the basement is quickly losing its appeal. I try telling myself it's good to punish her, she knew what would happen when she broke into my office, but the current forms of punishment I've been utilizing don't seem to please me as much as they once did. Or at least having her hidden from my eyes while I'm away didn't, it's distracting not being able to check on her like I want to.

"Do you feel guilty for leaving Polina for so long?" Luca inquires curiously.

I swipe out of the app and lock my phone, my attention going back to the building we were parked down the street from. Luca and I had been tailing Luís all morning. Normally I'd put a soldier on surveillance but I don't want Giovanni finding out I'm going against his orders before I have proof that Luís is the one helping keep Mikhail hidden. If I could figure out who the mole that is feeding Mikhail information is then I could bleed it out of them and I wouldn't need to play this waiting game.

Luís exits the building before I have to form a reply to Luca's question but I'm sure my unspoken answer is obvious.

Luca and I follow Luís for a few more hours until lunchtime hits and I can't fight the urge to go home any longer. Not even the idea of catching Luís in a lie could keep me away from Polina today. I try not to think about that for too long.

Luca and I agree that I'll feed Polina while he completes a task Giovanni had given him and then we'll meet up at my house and continue our surveillance afterward.

"This shouldn't take too long. Don't do anything you'll regret later." Luca says as I stop in front of one of our warehouses.

Normally I'd be able to argue that me doing something I'll regret won't happen but I'm not so sure anymore.

Instead of bothering with a reply I grab Luca by the back of his neck and bring his mouth to mine, getting a taste of him before reluctantly releasing my hold so he can exit the car. He gets out a moment later with a grin on his lips and a lust filled spark in his eyes that has my pants feeling tighter than they previously were.

The drive to my house takes longer than it should. By the time I park in my driveway anticipation heats my entire body.

Cacciatore greets me in the foyer as I enter the house. I give him a quick pet before going straight to the basement door and releasing the locks.

I haven't seen Polina since yesterday and I'm anxious to see how she's feeling after her interaction with Luca this morning. I usually don't see her until dinner but I'm feeling impatient today. That should probably make me stay away from her, it should make me want to distance myself from her but it doesn't. I've never craved the presence of anyone other than Luca, it should be alarming to me that I crave hers.

Polina slowly rises from the mattress where Luca had shackled her when my feet hit the landing, a groan falling from her lips. She must be sore from standing all night last night. Guilt slithers across my body and I fight a shiver at the unwelcome emotion.