Chapter 10

•Riot•

I've managed to keep my pet alive much longer than I'd originally expected. She's more entertaining than I ever thought she'd be. I no longer feel that urge to push her to the brink of death like I once had.

I find myself constantly watching the live feed from my cameras while I'm away from home, checking up on her throughout my day to see what she's doing. It's quickly become an addiction of mine which is a staggering thought because I'm not one to fall easily into the clutches of addicting substances.

The first day I allowed her free roam of my home I nearly held my breath while watching the cameras, expecting her to try to escape at any moment. She was far too smart for that though. I knew my little pet would play along with me until she thought I'd grown lenient and then she'd strike when she thought I least expected her to. What she hadn't realized was I always expected her to. There isn't a moment where I don't expect her to test the boundaries of her prison. It's only natural.

I liked punishing her when she misbehaved but I craved to see that grateful look in her eyes again that she'd given me when I gave her clothes to wear. I've never seen something quite as exquisite as that. Luca hated it, she'd given him the same look when he shared his Mamma's gnocchi with her. The guilt he felt for helping me keep our little captive was starting to consume him and that just wouldn't do.

I don't like seeing Luca in distress but I also can't stomach the thought of setting my pet free. Though he felt guilty over keeping her I don't think he'd want to let her go either, we've both grown quite attached to her. I don't know how we would ever go back to the way things were before she climbed the fence.

We've quickly found ourselves in a routine with her. Everyday when we enter the house she hides from us and we hunt her down. Hunting her gives me the same feeling as a good torture session. Adrenaline pumps through my veins, all kinds of thoughts race through my mind. Ones where she's being hunted by both Luca and I at the same time and instead of setting her free when she's caught, I get to taste every inch of her skin.

"Riot, are you listening?" Giovanni snaps.

I spread my arms across the back of the couch in Raf's den, giving my brother a smile. "Of course. Rome comes home today and you want me to have a chat with the capos to make sure everyone's on the same page." I repeat his words back to him.

All of my men are very well aware of what today is and what security measures are to be like from here on out but I will remind them as Giovanni asked. If something happened to Rome because of me... I think I'd truly snap and the last bit of humanity left inside me would be gone and it would never return. The first time I'd gotten to see my nephew in the hospital I'd made him a silent vow that I'd protect him at all costs, I owed him that after Rafe's passing.

"I want everything to be as secure as possible. There's no room for error here, this is my son." He insists.

I drop the smile, my face growing deadly serious. "I'm aware. They'll do whatever it takes to keep him safe, I can assure you, fratello."

(Fratello: brother)

If they don't, they'll face my wrath and we both know they won't want that.

I rise from the couch, taking my phone out of my pocket to send the capos a text to meet me here as soon as possible. Giovanni leaves, headed back to the hospital so he can help Nolani prepare for Rome to come home. 

Over the last two months I've watched Nolani grow as a person. After finding out what she did as she tried to escape the safe house while in labor I held a new level of respect for her. My only problem was how Giovanni constantly put her before the family. It grated on my nerves and made me worry about the future of the family.