Chapter 9

•Polina•

The sound of the front door opening sends my heart crashing against my ribs at a rapid pace. Is that the dog walker? He'd already come once so this would be his second walk but the alarm didn't go off this time! I hear Hunter growl, his nails clicking on the wood floor as he went down the hallway to inspect who was in the house. He'd been laying on a dog bed in the corner since I had entered the room.

I abandon the book on the couch, my eyes darting around the room for a place to hide. I sprint over to the curtains and quickly slip behind them, making sure my entire body is covered as I lean back against the wall. I pinch my eyes closed, heavy footfalls entering the den a moment later. If it comes down to it I'll put all the energy I have into fighting the soldier. I'm fully healed now, I could easily take one man even if he's armed.

My racing pulse pounds in my ears and I strain to hear where the soldier is in the house. The heavy footfalls descend the stairs leading to the basement. I slip out of my hiding spot and sprint upstairs, staying light on my feet so he doesn't hear me. I go to the first room at the top of the stairs. It's a guest bedroom that's painted a dark purple.

I army crawl my way under the bed, my breathing labored as panic floods my body. I push the fear away, shoving it into the little box just as my father taught me and I finally start calming down. If I can't take the soldier down I die and then my sisters die and I can't allow that to happen.

The sound of footfalls on the stairs to the second floor have me readying myself. A set of boots breach the entrance of the guest bedroom. They look like Luca's but I can't risk showing myself without knowing it's for sure him. It could definitely be him, he always brings me lunch but I don't even know what time it is. I'd gotten too caught up in the story to pay attention to the clock. But he hasn't said my name, why wouldn't he say my name if it were him?

The boots slowly approach my hiding place and I hold my breath as they step around the foot of the bed until they're on the other side. Then everything is quiet. I want to move, I want to glance over my shoulder and see where he went but I don't want to get caught so I remain glued to the spot.

Waiting.

A strong grip wraps around both of my ankles and before I can even react I'm dragged out from under the bed. I quickly twist once I'm no longer confined under the tight space and kick his grip away earning a grunt in response. I scramble to my feet and run, not even glancing back to see who the man was. A muscled arm wraps around my waist just as I make it into the hallway, trapping both of my arms beneath it. No!

"Calm down, it's me." Luca's voice breaks through the panic of being caught and I instantly relax against him.

I take a deep inhale, willing my racing heart to calm as tears brim my eyes. God, I thought this was it. I thought he was going to take me to Giovanni.

"Shhhh, I'm sorry." He apologizes, turning me around to face him.

I bury my face in his chest, hiding my tears. I swear I'd only cried a handful of times in my life until I became their captive and now I seem to cry more often than not. He lifts me up and I wrap my legs around his waist, keeping my face hidden. I feel him turn around and go back into the guest room. He takes a seat on the bed, with me on his lap, his hands rubbing my back in a soothing caress.

"Hey." He murmurs, his fingers spanning the back of my head as he tilted my face up to meet his gaze. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"I thought you were the dog walker. Riot warned me to stay hidden when he arrived." I explained, my voice shaky. "Why didn't you say my name?"